Kingcab conversion

hello

My name is Conrad

I'm new to the forum and actually new to trucks in general, I was wondering if anyone here knew if the 1976 and up kingcab 620 cab can fit onto a 1975 longbed chassis, reason being for the conversion is that I want the room of the kingcab but not the headache of having a post smog check chassis!

BTW I also have a good running 3 owner 1980 Datsun 720 Kingcab 2wd truck up for sale soon, $1350 takes it, call for more details...

Conrad

650-302-5127

antioch,cali

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, it can be done. It requires a little bit of fabrication though. The wheelbase is the same forthe two trucks, so that is not a problem. You will need a standard bed and the kingcab. The difference in the frame is in the body/bed mounts. So cuttin the mounts off of your donor truck would help you a lot.

The rear cab mount and the front bed mounts are all that need changed(I think).

I have never done this, only read about it several times. So, good luck and post us some pictures.

Jason

My '78 KC is on an '82 Long Bed. You're right about the front bed mts, they have to be cut off and welded on further back. The distance between the front two box mounts on each side of a long bed frame is 20.63". A short bed is 11.18" so the difference is... 9.45" The cab mounts are the same for reg, long or KC, it popped right on.

thanks for all the help guys now I can start looking for a king cab cab and short bed to put onto the longbed frame, I though thats all you needed to do was to move the bed mount back to accomodate the king cab cab,

free long bed body to anyone that can pick up themselves and haul away...

The 1982 truck isn't an exact comparison though.

If you're using a 1976-79 Datsun 620 kingcab I believe the rear cab mounts will line up the same. It looked me like the mounts in my kingcab were not right at the back of the cab... probably the same as the back of the cab in a standard cab.

When you get there, you just have to see what all needs to be changed.

The 620/720 are as close to identical as you can get. (frame wise)

All the measurements I quoted are directly from the '78 620 FSM I have. As for the six cab mounts, all distances front to back and diagonal are exactly the same between the Standard wheelbase, Long wheelbase and the King Cab.

• Like 1

As far as mounting the cab and box, the mounts are in the same position on 620 and 720 2wd, but the 720 rear shocks are differently mounted on the frame and the '84 and on 2 and 4X4, have a different front suspension mount to the front frame. 4X4s also have the mounts in the same position but are higher and there is provision for front differential and trans case.