77 620 4x4

jnec510

howdy im back with more questions. this mornin i ran to newberg an picked up a 77 620. it is a 4x4. it looks like a 620 cab an bed set on a 720 frame. s there any real way to identify a 720 frame? the stearin box an colum are power stearing but there is no pump. am i able to mount a power stearing pump to an l20b? an is there anyone near to portland(wthin a couple hour drive time) with a l16 521 exhaust and intake manifolds? possibly a weber an adapterplate? :D i will have pics tomorrow. thanks

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

howdy im back with more questions. this mornin i ran to newberg an picked up a 77 620. it is a 4x4. it looks like a 620 cab an bed set on a 720 frame. s there any real way to identify a 720 frame? the stearin box an colum are power stearing but there is no pump. am i able to mount a power stearing pump to an l20b? an is there anyone near to portland(wthin a couple hour drive time) with a l16 521 exhaust and intake manifolds? possibly a weber an adapterplate? :D i will have pics tomorrow. thanks

If it has independent front suspension with a solidly mounted differential it's very likely a 720 frame. If you look on the top of the frame rail behind the alternator just ahead of the pass side motor mount there will be a Vehicle Identification Number stamped there. Use a wire brush. For example: KMLGY 720 STAV

The 5 letter prefix was used on 4X4 frames. The Y means 4X4

The second letter M denotes a Z22 engine '81-'83, H would be an L20B '80 only, and N would be a Z24 '84 and up.

The next three numbers identifies it as a (duh) 720.

The last three identifies the model, transmission, cab/chassis, and destination.

this truck was parked for sale about a 1/4 mile from my house last night, seen it there often too. It was for sale last year on craigslist, and was advertised then to have a 720 frame with a 620 body.

Can we ask what you had to give for it?

Jason

ok thanks. the guy told me nothing about the truck. he told me that a 77 620 was factory with a four wheel drive.:lol: do you remember how much they where askin before. an does anyone know how l20bs are for 4x4. an would a nap z be any better?:cool:

A 4X4 it will be heavy. Maybe 7-800 lbs more than a 2wd so you need some low speed torque for that. The '80 720 had an L20B for the one year, I don't imagine it was quick but the L20B could pull it along as long as you don't increase the tire height.

A NAPS Z22 has 10-15 ft lbs more torque and at HALF the RPMs of an L20B. The Z24 has about 30 ft lbs more torque at about the same RPMs.

You could get a 620 4X4 but it was not from the factory. It used Jeep parts and was a dealer ordered conversion. The earliest one I've heard of is a '74. RacnJsn95 has a '78?

I seem to recall them asking a little over the 2k mark, i just kinda laughed.

The Jeep parts conversions all had a solid front axle too. I beleive that yours has independent front, Right?

Did you find the VIN number on the frame?

Jason

Ha ha you had me going there for a minute, until I saw the 4.88s.

I broke my 4.375 and all I had laying around was a 4.11 (with 33s) Terrible acceleration and down shift every hill. Don't even go out on windy days.

yea its a 720 frame i am almost positive. but no plate. it has a l20b wth a fumky oil pan an the motor vin doesnt match the 620 plate. so im thinkin it might be an 80???? t seems to be just as fast as my 2wd 620. is there gear options for the 720 front dif? i renotched the floor for the 4wd shifter took the seats, carpet, center consule, stereo, speakers, an a whole bunch of wires that ran to nothing out today. tomorrow she will be all flat black with new seats, an a forward facing consule from behind.:D gonna also build some kickpods for 4 in speakers. as far as the motor i am gonna replace or rebuild not quite sure yet. anybody within 3 hours of portland have a l16 intake an exhaust mani they want to unload:D:D thanks

yea its a 720 frame i am almost positive. but no plate. it has a l20b wth a fumky oil pan an the motor vin doesnt match the 620 plate. so im thinkin it might be an 80???? t seems to be just as fast as my 2wd 620. is there gear options for the 720 front dif? i renotched the floor for the 4wd shifter took the seats, carpet, center consule, stereo, speakers, an a whole bunch of wires that ran to nothing out today. tomorrow she will be all flat black with new seats, an a forward facing consule from behind.:D gonna also build some kickpods for 4 in speakers. as far as the motor i am gonna replace or rebuild not quite sure yet. anybody within 3 hours of portland have a l16 intake an exhaust mani they want to unload:D:D thanks

The first year ('80) 720 did have the old L20B engine. The next year the newer Z22 engine was used. The stock gearing for it was 4.375. You could find lower gears for the back but finding a front R-180 with lower ratio would be difficult. The rear diff from a 510 will fit your front so if you can find a lower gear, that is the place to start.

so in that since a subaru dif should fit? the only thing that really confuses me is if it was the stock motor where did all the power stearing stuff go??????:mad: i hate when people butcher datsuns. such a understated vehicle.:(