Hey all! New owner in Montana.

Satchimo

Just wanted to introduce myself. Name is Scott. I live up in beautiful Bigfork, Montana. Anyways, I have been wanting to get my hands on a 510 for over a decade now, and this past week I managed to get 2! I found these cars last year, however, the timing was all wrong. After a failed search for a new project a couple weeks ago, I decided to check back and see if they were still around........and they hadn't moved!!! Turns out the guy was about a week away from taking them to get scrapped.

So far my plans for each car are unknown. The 4 door is a 71, 2 door is a 69. The 2 door does not run, not sure why yet. The 4 door sat for 3 years, some fluids, fresh gas, and a new battery and she fired right up! On to the pics, only have 2 at the moment.

69510.jpg

2012-05-15_09-20-25_236.jpg

Looking forward to the hours of reading/learning I'm about to do!

Edited by Satchimo
  • Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

there another guy from Montanba on here selling/parting a car .Contack him search on this site .

I would keep the 4 door running as is and do slightly upgrades.

The 68 is really cool but I know there are soem differences in like alternator electrical wiring ect....Mostly electrical) ect. wipers so soem stuff is not interchangeable between them.

Try to get the 68 running by its self to see whats wrong.Keep intake as possible dont part out if a true 68 or maybe 69

You sure its a 68 as I though they had opposed wiper blades????????

get spark , timming, fuel ,set valave lash

olddatsuns.com read everything on there and watch this and SAVE it. get good tools and timming light and DIGITAL volt meter

Yes, the 4 door will definitely be my rally monster.......I also just discovered that it has a l20b swap in it already. Learning new things about this car everyday (wasn't able to talk to the owner, just his father, so none of this info was provided)

I bet you could have that 4 dr back to a daily driver in a couple days ,,,,,, it has a new "cal look" front windshield weather stripping

the rockers look better than most 510's,,,,,, who cares about the fender ....... .. the rest of that 4dr is cleaner than my 510's by a mile

• Like 1

We use gravel and some chemical spray, no salt. The passenger side rocker is pretty rough, floor pans are solid though, if it were pretty I wouldn't want to rally it :) Got the titles in the mail today, the 4 door is getting a nice tuneup this weekend after we haul the 2 door back to my place. These cars came with TONS of parts, some of which are things like a factory tach, delorto sidedrafts, legit jdm sidemarkers, new bumpers, etc. I'm quite pleased with my purchase!!!!!

Nice, welcome! I'm in Missoula, found my 510 up in the backwoods by Kalispell...lots of hidden gems up there. Ever feel like getting rid of the rims on the 4-door, keep me in mind.

Hey, nice to see another Montana member. It seems as though there are a ton of people in the Northwest with these things! I have another buddy up here that has a 2 door he drives daily, we'll have to get some gatherings planned in the future.

Satchimo

replace the fuell filter and swap out the anit freeze with a NEw 50/50 mix. Aluminum covers need good anti freeze and not to run old stuff as it does wear out.

do not swap out coils or anything thinking your going to make it beet untill you know what your doing. Esp with qa point system but getting a pertronix or a newer IE will help greatly in the reliability dept.

your 4door I would keep stock and just get some gas shocks to make a entry level rally car esp if you have alot of back roads in your area. 510s are great durable off road cars but DONT Smash it.

Satchimo

replace the fuell filter and swap out the anit freeze with a NEw 50/50 mix. Aluminum covers need good anti freeze and not to run old stuff as it does wear out.

do not swap out coils or anything thinking your going to make it beet untill you know what your doing. Esp with qa point system but getting a pertronix or a newer IE will help greatly in the reliability dept.

your 4door I would keep stock and just get some gas shocks to make a entry level rally car esp if you have alot of back roads in your area. 510s are great durable off road cars but DONT Smash it.

Thanks for the advice, definitely going to take my time to do it the right way. We haul the 2 door home tomorrow, just replaced the fuel lines in the 4 door, got her timed right, and she's running like a champ!

Yes you saved them from the scraper thankyou your good deed is done!! Nice dimes take care of them. I love Montana

Yes, I definitely plan on taking care of them :thumbup: Got the 2 door all nestled in her new spot. Spent 4 hours cleaning the interior today! Preparing for engine removal tomorrow, she's all froze up.

2012-05-27_15-33-55_914-1.jpg