KC area Datsun experts?

bumpsmac

I just bought a 1970 510 wagon and drove it back to Kansas City from western Illinois. It'll be my daily driver once I get a couple things fixed and shoulder belts installed.

If anyone can recommend a mechanic or mechanics in town who are good with these cars, please share.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks! It's the same one that used to belong to uieluck! Light blue w/white vinyl top. I'll post a current pic shortly.

As far as engine/transmission/suspension/brakes, I'm not aware of any problemts. But the speedometer/odometer/engine temp gauge are dead, and the hose from the fuel filler tube to the gas tank leaks.

I am no mechanic, but I can probably handle replacing the hose. Not sure where to start with the odometer/speedometer. I'm hopeful that this will be the car I actually learn to work on, but I'm eager to get it to pass the state inspection so I can start driving it.

Does the gas gauge work? If both the temp and gas gauges are not working then the voltage regulator in the dash is faulty as it feeds both gauges. If the gas gauge is working... Look on the thermostat housing where the upper rad hose leaves the engine. On the front underside is the temp sender and a yellow with white stripe wire on it, Pull this wire off and ground to the housing... the temp gauge should move all the way over to full HOT. If it does then the sender is no good.

Jack the car and look under it on the drivers side by the front of the driver's seat. The speedo cable comes out near the back of the transmission. Look for obvious damage or kinks on the outside. If there are replace it. You can unscrew the outer sheath and inner flexible cable from the transmission. Pull the inner flexible cable out. It will look like a small very long spring and may be very slippery so have a rag to hold it and keep clean. Again inspect it for damage. The far end should be squared off to fit the speedometer head. If the end is frayed it's likely broken, if rusty... replace. If OK thread back in and be sure the transmission end is properly fitted into the speedo pinoin in the talistock. The inner cable has a ferule crimped on the end that lock it in place. Screw the outer sheath back on by hand.

Bumbs Mac. These are EZ cars to work on and do things slowly we all can help. Just the Midwest isnt Datsun friendly when it come sto parts laying around so be nice to have spares whens possible you come across.

Always ask before doing.

Like the Temp sender. If its been on there awhile things could breck trying to get it off and Im sure you dont have a spare lower housing or the hex nut right on hand if this breaks. Ck wire for 12volts with key ON or some voltage. I forgot if its 12 or not but at least ck.

I say ck other things alot of old stuff can break or corrossion. Fuses ect will break at the ends and still LOOK GOOD.

read olddatsuns.com everything.

save this