tranny making noise

so i grabbed a fs5w71b trans. from the junk yard a few weeks ago. i took it home and pulled it apart. all the bearing and gears are in perfect condition. i put the new trans in over the weekend and its making a small pinging and whirling noise. it only happens when the clutch is engaged. i put in 85-140 weight oil? any guess on what it could be?

• Like 1
  • Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Pinging sound? Sort of like a stone hitting the driveshaft? Sounds like a dry U joint and/or the needle bearings inside are broken .

http://community.rat...nt-replacement/

There are three U joints to check. If you find a bad one and you have to remove the drive shaft, you may as well change them all.

it only makes noise when the input shaft is spinning (when my foot is not on clutch pedal). i also have my trans. partially exposed from the cab because i need to cut a new plate for the floor. the noise doesnt sound normal to me. kinda sounds like the bearings are dry

Yup to that. If the boot is torn or missing and no console over it, all kinds of normal noise gets into the car. Get 2 or 3 pieces of carpet and cut holes just big enough for the shift knob to stick through. Stack them over the shifter to block the opening and take for a ride. Bet it's fixed. !!Ping!! sounds like a U joint still.

well to be honest with you guys i think ive got a bad bearing and ill explain why. last year when i had my 26" long 5 speed it was making some what of a similar noise that this one is making, just not as bad. i had it rebuilt with new bearings and it didnt make any funny or abnormal sounds. im thinking my main or input bearing might be going bad. i think i should just pull it out again and inspect it once more. hell i might just rebuild it

i put the new trans in over the weekend and its making a small pinging and whirling noise. it only happens when the clutch is engaged. i put in 85-140 weight oil? any guess on what it could be?

Saying again that transmissions don't make pinging sounds but hollow tube driveshafts certainly do. They may howl, grind, whine, hiss, growl and groan but ping is never mentioned. If removing the transmission you have to take the driveshaft out anyway, so inspect those U joints.

• 1 month later...