Might be trading my rx7 for a 521. advice?

FiveSeventyZee

so I found this yesterday

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto/2973351373.html

and emailed him and found he's a bit of a Mazda fan....which works nicely for me because I'm trying to get rid of a Mazda...and I'm addicted to all things Datsun (who on here isn't?)

anyways I've been talking over a trade with him for my rx7

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/cto/2980621050.html

the issues are as follows,

the electrical issues:

-needs both window motors (pass is dead, drivers is dying)

-needs wiper switch (only works on low speed, intermittent and hi speed don't work)

-needs new headlight switch (no hi beams but lo's work)

-needs top switch 

-the tail lights and dash lights don't work. that's the only one I don't know what needs replacing. it's some short behind the dash. tapping above the gauges worked for a bit but now no go

all of these are livable issues the only major one is the short if you plan on driving at night which is pretty common. I just ride the brakes when I see cops at night so the tails look like theyre on

non electrical:

-roof has tears

-clear coat is peeling 

-tires are worn

-clutch is going to need replacement in the next couple months. 

my question for you guys is. am I blinded by Datto love? should I be asking him to add cash on top?

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

so I found this yesterday

http://sfbay.craigsl...2973351373.html

and emailed him and found he's a bit of a Mazda fan....which works nicely for me because I'm trying to get rid of a Mazda...and I'm addicted to all things Datsun (who on here isn't?)

anyways I've been talking over a trade with him for my rx7

http://sfbay.craigsl...2980621050.html

the issues are as follows,

the electrical issues:

-needs both window motors (pass is dead, drivers is dying)

-needs wiper switch (only works on low speed, intermittent and hi speed don't work)

-needs new headlight switch (no hi beams but lo's work)

-needs top switch

-the tail lights and dash lights don't work. that's the only one I don't know what needs replacing. it's some short behind the dash. tapping above the gauges worked for a bit but now no go

all of these are livable issues the only major one is the short if you plan on driving at night which is pretty common. I just ride the brakes when I see cops at night so the tails look like theyre on

non electrical:

-roof has tears

-clear coat is peeling

-tires are worn

-clutch is going to need replacement in the next couple months.

my question for you guys is. am I blinded by Datto love? should I be asking him to add cash on top?

Trade him....this is a clean looking 521, I was looking around at L motors just in case...I decided to talk to him...i see he lowered his price from 950 to 900...he wants it sold or traded bad...

your mazda ( no offense ) has a shitload of stuff wrong with it...2500 blue book i dont think takes into account all the broken stuff on yours...if I were you id be worried when ( not if ) your gonna get

stranded by it..( with all the electric shit going on )

So if youve got the L motor from your 510 ....drop that bad boy in and be done...youll have a nice looking reliable ride..

well yeah no offense taken I didnt make my Mazda have all these problems. I'm a Datsun guy, say my 510 is crap or my z and we'll have trouble. but that's not likely to happen around these parts now is it? haha

anyway I was gonna meet up with him today to show him my Mazda but he couldn't make it to Marin. I'm waiting on when he'd like to meet up again

edit: although the blue book isn't $2500 it's over 4 for fair condition which I am below but not terribly...this isn't the worst rx7 you'll ever see. but it is impossible to sell right now which is why I've been looking at this trade

also keep in mind I can't keep it. either way I have to downsize to 2 cars. it's a matter of which is easier to sell/will net me more money for the z :P

well yeah no offense taken I didnt make my Mazda have all these problems. I'm a Datsun guy, say my 510 is crap or my z and we'll have trouble. but that's not likely to happen around these parts now is it? haha

anyway I was gonna meet up with him today to show him my Mazda but he couldn't make it to Marin. I'm waiting on when he'd like to meet up again

edit: although the blue book isn't $2500 it's over 4 for fair condition which I am below but not terribly...this isn't the worst rx7 you'll ever see. but it is impossible to sell right now which is why I've been looking at this trade

also keep in mind I can't keep it. either way I have to downsize to 2 cars. it's a matter of which is easier to sell/will net me more money for the z :P

I like gen 2 rx7's...had almost had one kick my ass in my Z on Katella Blvd in Orange Ca. ( but then my "L"tec ) kicked in... and all he saw were taillights...it was just your description of all the issues it had make it sound like you would be getting a better deal going for the 521 than dropping so much into the rx7. ( unless its a turbo II ) then maybe its worth it...