Aftermarket Cruise Control Installed in my 620

slodat

I have wanted cruise control in the truck since the day I bought it. It just makes driving lot more pleasant on the highway. I have some long drives ahead of me in the KC in the coming weeks. I finally took the plunge and installed an aftermarket cruise control, a Rostra Universal Cruise Control (250-1223) and 250-3421 control switch. I bought the whole setup at Instrument Sales and Service. They are near the Portland airport. Cost was just under $300.

I didn't take a ton of photos of the installation. It is really straight forward and I was focused on getting it installed. I used a throttle cable wheel off of a throttle body for the cruise cable connection to the carb. I trimmed the wheel until it laid flat on the linkage that was on my carb and welded it together. The cable bracket was welded to the throttle cable bracket.

IMG_6060.jpg

I relocated the horns from the side of the fender well and mounted the servo box. I didn't drill any new holes; just used existing threaded holes for the horns and the servo bracket.

IMG_6061.JPG

I mounted the control switch to the upper portion of the steering column surround.

IMG_6062.jpg

The wiring is very straight forward. One cool feature of the Rostra cruise control is it doesn't use a clutch switch. It has a tachometer input to sense engine RPM. It will shut off the cruise when the clutch is pressed based on this tach signal. For the speed sensor I used one that I got off of a 510. The 510's with dual points have a speed sensor inline between the speedometer and speedo cable on the back of the instrument cluster. I wired its output to the speed sensor lines on the cruise control and it works great.

I am very happy with the operation of the cruise. Well worth the effort!

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic