WGRL411SSS PROJECT

digitalrules

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have 4 Datsun steel wheels from a 311 that would fit your wagon very well if you are going for "almost stock" look. They have circumferential slots. not round holes and no dog dish clips so a full wheel cover would be needed. Full moons? If you are not in a hurry I can bring to the next JCCS show, no charge, good to see another 411 back on the road!

• 1 month later...

Happy fathers day all you fathers.....more questions from the rookie, I finally got the engine back in and am trying to figure out a few things, like the wiring and the plumbing on the intake manifold, any input would be welcome....thanks411b.jpg411c.jpg411a.jpg411d.jpg

• 11 months later...

First and fourth photos above [17 June posting].

First photo is the return line from the intake manifold to the water pump.  The banjo bolts to the rear of the intake casting and connects to the small diameter copper line attached to the water pump shown in the fourth picture..

You will need a diverter/shutoff valve to properly connect the hole in front of the intake manifold to the heater hose and  engine block.  The hose needed to connect the engine block to the shutoff valve will have to be fabricated.  The original has a 90 degree bend followed bu a 180 degree bend of impossibly small radius.  When you get to that point ask me for part numbers.  I have fabricated 3 different configurations of available hoses that fit within OEM envelope and function properly.  Until you get the valve, part numbers are useless.

id say a simple plain light gray with the dog dishes like we were talking would look nice. from all the evidence ive seen the 521's with dog dishes had gray wheels. it looks good and when painted black it makes the tires look giant. the black of the rubber, gray wheel and chrome cap give it good contrast.

Thanks......Original thin whitewalls???or straight?

The original white walls were wide, not thin.  Hen's teeth today.  Sears used to provide "original" side wall and tread on modern radial carcass, not sure if any of the current generation of counter people would even understand the difference.

My original owners manual shows a thin wall on the wagon and my unused spare in the trunk is a thin wall???

I bought my RL411 new.  It came with wide white walls on the car and on the spare. I ditched the original spare ten years ago, it was a tubed tire and was bias belted, what kind do you have?   If it's tubeless, it's not original.  Your original owners manual, and mine, also show the PL411 oil pan and transmission in the views of the undercarriage.  Datsun used existing photo coverage whenever possible, they were entering the Continental US and Canada market and didn't want to spend more than they had to.

I may have to stick with the thin white wall after checking the price for wide white walls??? $500.00+ ouch

That's why I said "to hell with 100% authenticity" and bought modern thin white wall radials.  The radials have a "softer" side wall, so I installed a set of gas charged shocks from Sears.  Good match!  Same feel to the ride.