carb issues...

I finally got my engine idling properly the other day after replacing a few cracked vacuum lines and the fuel filter, but I have found that in the mornings when I start the car it revs dangerously high while in neutral and I'll have to put it in gear before it revs. This only happens when the engine is cold though.

Also, when I hit the gas after stopping the car stutters like it's either not getting enough gas or getting too much gas. If I accelerate very gradually it's fine, but if I hit it too fast it will stutter.

This is a stock carb on an A15.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This could be normal. When the choke is on, a fast idle cam is also in use to rev the motor and warm it faster. Usually 1,500 to 2,200 RPMs is normal. Without a tach it's hard to say what you think is 'dangerously high'. Within 30 seconds you should be able to lightly tap the gas to release the fast idle down a notch. You should do this if an automatic anyway to prevent shocking the drive train.

So the choke isn't stuck, and it doesn't seem necessarily loose. I am able to move it by hand though. I adjusted the idle and mixture screws and now it doesn't cut out when I hit the gas too quickly. I'll have to wait until tomorrow morning to find out if they were related issues though.