Unknown drive belt squealing

So driving back from Vegas last weekend my charge light came on, found broke wire on alternator. By the time I pulled into my place I was getting a squealing noise. I replaced said alternator and drive belt, and my charge light is still on and it's still squealing when I give it any throttle. The truck fires right up, but maybe the battery still isnt completely charged idk. This is on an L18 if it matters. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

you turn it with belt off by hand if it dosnt move its seized,

when i put a new belt on my l20 i put the tension way to tight and and made a squealed when rev'd also i had gotten a belt that was too thick or thin and it squealed right when i started it.

so make sure it the right thickness and tension

if so sometimes some belt dressing will do the trick

-ray

While the belt is off grab the plastic fan blades and (gently) push one side back and the other towards the rad to see if there is any wobble in the bearing. Look up underneath the water pump. There is a small weep hole behind the pulley. If it is wet or there are signs of coolant dripping out in the past it means the seal has (or is) failing. Eventually water gets into the bearing and then it will squeal!

Lwaterpump014Large.jpg