L16 Cooling Fan Size

toddc

Hello All,

I'm trying to install a Champion aluminum radiator in my 71 510 with L20B and the fan does not have enough clearance for the radiator. My existing fan is a 7 blade and about 15" across. Can someone tell me the size of the L16 or L18 blade? I may have to downsize to get this to fit. Thanks.

-Todd

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The radiator is 2.5" thick. The problem is that the diameter of the fan I have is too large and hits on the lower radiator outlet. I didn't really want to swap to electric, but may have to. Even a 2" thick electric fan will be tight up against the water pump pulley.

-Todd

Is this a 510/521 specific radiator????????????

a 620 rad the outlet is different?

I would run the 510 water pump and fan set up if you dont already have that. I think the later l20s used a fan clutch set up but I have had a 510 with a L20 before and fan clutch and it still fit.

Datsun parts LLC on here sell 510 specific rads.

or Rods(not so Discounts) Datsun parts

yes the stock 510 water pump in most areas its only a pulley and a 4 blade fan.

you can ck out Rockauto.com(photos) and put in 71 510 then try a 79 620 and even a 77-79 200sx or 78-80 510 and see what kind of pumps they list. I have only used the early NON clutch type setups.

this would be good to know about the fan clutch fitting as the guy with the red wagoon has one and say hes fit.

The photos I saw it looked like the alternator was very closet o hitting the lower inlet pipe from radiator.

But one could use a shorter belt to keep alternator from hitting the lower hose.

I believe that i have it resolved.....I mounted the radiator lower and off center from the stock position, allowing the fan blade to clear the outlet. There is about 1/2" clearance between the face of the fan and the radiator and the same distance clearing the outlet.