internal regulator

datsun77

i have searched the forums on this subject but there are several different combinations on the wiring out there my truck is a 1977 620 and i am going to use a alternator off a 80 720 does anyone know the correct full proof wiring for this truck thanks!

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

this is for a late model 510 but the color codes are the same I believe on the truck

http://datsun510.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=124&size=big&papass=&sort=1

just jumper the wires at the volt reg end by making jumpers and then inserting them in the connector,so you can go back to stock.

One think to know is on the trucks the steering idler arm pivot may get in the way due to the bigger alternato and its more than just a install.

I think most 620 alternator were the smaller 35 amp units. a bigger one you might not be able to get the belt tight enough w/o hitting the idler arm.

I had to grind mine on my 521 when installing a 50amper.

Nothing is totally FREE!!!!!!!!! might be Ezer to get the correct alternator for now

PM Jester on here I think he recent did something like this.

This is not the best way to do this but it does work.The 720 alternator mount to the block (three bolt) is positioned higher than the 620. (at least it is on the Z motors) You might look at swapping it too. I did this swap a long time ago and swapped the mount and used a 280 Z lower rad inlet to the block because it is swept back more and gives better clearance. I had to slip the new belt on the pulley first, then tighten the alt. bolts to get tight without hitting the idler grease nipple. Maybe take the nipple out and put a plug in?

• 11 months later...