81 210/B310 63A #1 conversion problems...

orbitz

Hey ratsun clan I'm having some serious issues getting this new dog-leg box mounted up into the car.. Am running an A15 and 63A #1 box... Having some clearance problems near the breather tube and overcastings on the bell housing area... I used the dye grinder on the high spots on the bell housing area but am still having NO luck getting everything to line up... I have the new driveshaft that mounts up sweet to the tail shaft and rear diff... but the rear isolator from the b210 it came out of and old factory B310 cross member dont snug up to the body plates wher the cross member bolts onto..... Not sure if im missing something like putting spacers in or what but I could really use a hand or a tip from someone who has done this swap!!!

You can see the car in the build section under b310 found under tarp...

Thanks ya'll!!

Orbitz

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The tail on the dogleg is probably too high. Does the shifter look like it's higher than the 4 speed that was in it?

This is not the same thing but I put a 280zx 5 speed into my 710 and replaced the 4 speed. The tail end of the 5 speed was about 3-4" higher for some reason. The place on the transmission where the shifter fits was up above the carpet inside the car. It cut a section out of the cross member and fabbed up a dropped section and welded it in.

goon5speedswap204Large.jpg

goon5speedswap207Large.jpg

goon5speedswap223Large.jpg

goon5speedswap230Large.jpg

Mike it looks like everything else is lining up correctly, i cut a notch outta the shift lever hole to allow the shifter asswembly to clear, but am still a little confused why the box isnt lining up to the body mounts for the trans cross member... am here in the shop tryin for the last 2 hoursw to get her to snug up in there....

Any help is much appreciated!

What if you turn the rear cross member 180 so it faces to the rear?

On my 710 there were three holes on each side on the body and only two on the cross member so it could be mounted in two positions one for the 4 speed and one for the automatic.

I had to space my B210 4 speed xmember down one inch, back about 1 3/4" , im not shure what you talked about having,to drimmel off, cab,you post pics to show the problem?

Billm has about 25% if a how to, with no pics of course, but CLAIMS it bolted right in (i dont think it was right) with a certian un specified crossmember.

The key is the engine angle, when I mine in without a spacer there was 4-6 inches from the fire wall and the valve cover, I put my four speed back in and measured the engine clearences, then I put my 63a in and moved the motor where it needed to be and blocked,the trans there.

I could tell exactly where the mount had to be modified to work that way.

maybe we can get billm to specify wich parts he used.

k boys I'm gonna wait a bit until i get the motor mounts on and the block dropped in... Then have another look and see where I'm at for clearance..... Banner I'll get some pictures up on monday or as soon as possible bro... and unfortunately you have my 4 speed!! haha! so all i have is the 63A to work with

I didnt get your 4 speed, but I do have a b210 for speed to compare if needed, I ended up using a 4 speed crossmember to weld on, I figured it would be easeir to replace than a 5 speed one.

Sorry I meant that I no longer have my 4 speed as i was down getting that other one in WA to replace my 4 speed..... anyways ya i think its probably best if i just wait till the motor is on the mounts and just try from there....

Oh yeah, thats the way to go, it lessons the margin of error, put the motor in and hook the tranny up, then jack it into place.

I also had to cut the reverse censor down and weld it closed on my b210, but gzilla swears that all the b310 tunnels are the same. So the sensor shouldnt be a problem for you, what exactly did you drimmel? Im on the edge of my seat mang! LoL

My -63 went straight in but I only had a common -60 trans mount and I had to drill new holes in it to get it to mount up, it was NOT a straight drop-in! but I had plenty (about 1" ) of clearance on top of the trans.

BillM

i have to ask a few questions

1. from where did you measure the inch?

2. did you flip the xmember around backwards and then drill new holes?

3. do you have pics?

4. why dont you have pics? lol

5. and last but not least, did you measure the engine angle/placement before and after install?

becouse ive seen it "work" before and still be way out of wack

my biggest worry is with the brass breather tube coming outta the top of the case... it is REALLY close to the trans tunnel and i still have barely any room to go up or down with out messing up the tail shaft angle... I am also using the stock 60 series 4 speed trans x-member for the build, so again if anyone has any other information or has some pictures of this swap get em on here!

Redbanner

The 1" is just my hand thickness (small hands) that I put all of the way around the trans without problem.

I did post some photos here about two months back but I don't know where they are- I will try to find them

Bill

I put the mount on frontwards but did have to drill some new holes.

I didn't measure engine placement since I just dropped the trans out, didn't pull the engine

Orditz

Yes- that tube is REAL close! but didn't touch in my car.

Here it is:

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/40107-putting-a-63-transmission-into-a-82-210-car/page__fromsearch__1