Lash Pad and Spring question

Suspect

I probably should have asked this a long time ago.... I bought a used cam off ebay, Comp Cams 79-135-4, and it came with lash pads. As far as I know they are stock lash pads and my springs are I know are stock. What should I be using with this cam and where can I get them?

CompCamsDatsunLZ22.jpg

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

stock lash pads are counter sunk on the bottom

aftermarket ones are flat on the bottom.

key is ink pen the rub area of the rocker arm and install the lash pad. run it a few times and then see where the wear pattern is. For me I have a set of pads from .150-.200 but its a best guess.

Most new core cams atre about 160 a regrind could be .180 to .200

also depends if you machine the head, valve seats and the valve stems as you want the top to be even so you can buy only 1 size of pads. If a bad machine shop you could have multiple pad sizes.

In the end you got a cheap ebay deal on could cost you more in the long run trying to figure the correct wipe pattern as lash pads are about 5$ apc and most people get new retainers to hold the pad in as they will stick to far up on a stock retainer and could flop out and rock on the valve stem making alot of noise.

I went down to a performance shop that sells comp cams. They said when you buy the cam, all you get is the cam. You have to also buy the spring and retainer kit seperate but no one knows about lash pads. I also found out that if I was to buy that cam again new, it close to $300. I had no idea a new cam for a Datsun could cost that much when I bought a new comp cam for my V8 S-10 for $125.

To get thicker lash pads you need to buy them from Nissan Comp. I'm not sure if there are other sources or not and I'm not sure a guy off the street can buy them directly from Nissan Comp.

If you run into problems buying lash pads, call Riley Curtis at Lyncheburg (VA) Nissan he has gotten Comp parts for guys in the past. There may be other dealers that will work to get you the lash pads you need.

On springs, Isky used to sell L series springs and Nissan Comp has them as well.