Old Cars and Aerodynamics~

I would go with the bug, at least you would have a decent chance of maintaining a reasonable hiway speed, and with the lower conversion costs, it might be economicly viable.

Don't know about the RPMs though, 2000 doesn't seem like enough for the VW drivetrain.

Weren't most bugs equipped stock w/ 4.11's? If indeed I do entertain the Ghia/Beetle/914 idea I would scrap (mentally) the diesel idea. It's saving grace is front engine/rear drive~ so I'd build a high compression pan-4, and compensate for detonation with other creative resources... ;)

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

66 to early 73 was 4.11( actualy 4.12 I think). 73 and up (single side cover) was 3.89, and thats as tall as they got. They also had a bigger 1st gear, so many of them became donors for severe use gearboxes.

The bus was 5.37/4.88/4.56. Great for offroad. Not so much for highway

The 914 has a 5 speed, and 4 wheel disc's. The early ones had shifting problems, and they all had horrible gauges, If your old and broken like me, climbing in and out of one can be a pain. The stock engine costs more $ to go through than 3 bug motors. The 1.7 and 1.8 are turds. Thats why they are so popular with the electric and V8 swap crowds.

Oh, and they drive like they are on rails. Unfriggenreal in the corners.

Weren't most bugs equipped stock w/ 4.11's? If indeed I do entertain the Ghia/Beetle/914 idea I would scrap (mentally) the diesel idea. It's saving grace is front engine/rear drive~ so I'd build a high compression pan-4, and compensate for detonation with other creative resources... ;)

Lots of options with VWs only problem with high comp is that the air cooled motors can't deal with it very effectively, propane is an option though. With my stock 1600 with dual Kadrons and a vac advance dizzy and driving the piss out of it I got 25mpg in town and 35mpg on the highway. With a good oil cooler and a better fan and engine tin it could be fine with high comp but it won't last as long. I love the older VW's very easy to work on and super cheap. I believe they came with 4.88 gears as well.

I have seen a high comp 1600 that made 195hp at 7700rpm which is insane for a 1600 very well built plus high reving boxer motor? hell yeah

here is the link.

Lots of options with VWs only problem with high comp is that the air cooled motors can't deal with it very effectively, propane is an option though. With my stock 1600 with dual Kadrons and a vac advance dizzy and driving the piss out of it I got 25mpg in town and 35mpg on the highway. With a good oil cooler and a better fan and engine tin it could be fine with high comp but it won't last as long. I love the older VW's very easy to work on and super cheap. I believe they came with 4.88 gears as well.

I have seen a high comp 1600 that made 195hp at 7700rpm which is insane for a 1600 very well built plus high reving boxer motor? hell yeah

here is the link.

Haha, I love Kadrons. They have to be the best and worst carbs ever. Those things will take more abuse and neglect than any carb made. the linkage was a joke, and the manifolds were sloppy welded steel. But they always work.

I used to race with a guy that ran a 1680cc (88 borex 69 stroke) Berg heads and 48IDA's. That thing ran 12's.

Haha, I love Kadrons. They have to be the best and worst carbs ever. Those things will take more abuse and neglect than any carb made. the linkage was a joke, and the manifolds were sloppy welded steel. But they always work.

c

I used to race with a guy that ran a 1680cc (88 borex 69 stroke) Berg heads and 48IDA's. That thing ran 12's.

I had some oldschool trehauft manifolds the best you can get and rare too they went to my buddy's bug. I have a 2109cc with lots of goodies I need to finish and sell. Kads were the best night and day difference vs. stock carb.

Albyneau, what's the primary goal here? Top speed? MPG? Super light weight? Just using up a diesel you have sitting around?

Ultralight weight for top MPG performance, BUT retaining some creature comforts as well~ weatherproof, heater, etc. I want to build an ultra-econobox. Using the diesel is definitely not a given~ it's just been lyin around keeping dust off that part of the floor over there... :rofl: It has a severe knock, maybe just a rod bearing[fixable]~ but in my gut I'm 'bout 85% sure it's got a broken crank[boat anchor]. Either way, my first fillup cost .17/gal, and under $5.00 total~ so I'll be DAMNED if I'm gonna keep throwing $4-5/gal [CA] gas at this 13 mpg pig I've been driving~!

This^

I wonder how much MPG a J13 gets

My '88 Samurai Tintop was nearly flagged as a gross polluter before I sold it [800+PPM CO~ the equivalent of cylinder washdown], and I still got a best of 32 mpg out of it! And as economical as they are~ it's still like pushin a billboard thru a hurricane.... I suspect a J13 could do almost as well. If I go gas it'll be an aluminum-headed crossflow design for ultimate tolerance of higher compression.

My '88 Samurai Tintop was nearly flagged as a gross polluter before I sold it [800+PPM CO~ the equivalent of cylinder washdown], and I still got a best of 32 mpg out of it! And as economical as they are~ it's still like pushin a billboard thru a hurricane.... I suspect a J13 could do almost as well. If I go gas it'll be an aluminum-headed crossflow design for ultimate tolerance of higher compression.

Which reminds me of polluting...

did you Email or call the members of the senate to support SB1224?

DO IT!!!!!!!!!! Please! If the bill passes i can keep my '76 620!! and I bet there are thousands in my situation!

http://www.semasan.com/page.asp?content=aa_2012CA2&g=SEMAGA

• Like 1

Now~ back to that neighbor of yours....?

I'll go talk to him when he has his garage open.

He's not the friendliest of neighbors, but i'm sure some $$ interests will change his mind.

I'm certain he restores them and sells them off...

Although I think he has a couple of parts ones.

Which reminds me of polluting...

did you Email or call the members of the senate to support SB1224?

DO IT!!!!!!!!!! Please! If the bill passes i can keep my '76 620!! and I bet there are thousands in my situation!

http://www.semasan.c...012CA2&g=SEMAGA

Is there sample text for this to go with the addies provided?

Is there sample text for this to go with the addies provided?

I was wondering the same thing.

It says "Please contact members of the California Senate Transportation and Housing Committee immediately to request their support of S.B. 1224."

so I did just that. emailed them saying I request their support of SB 1224.

You can call in aswell. I hear it's as easy as saying you're for the bill and they make note of it.