Idle problems under load

When I am in drive/reverse (yes, automatic) and am sitting at a stop light/stop sign or backing out of a parking spot, the car stalls. I have no idea what to even look for when trying to figure this out. It was momentarily addressed in my "I'm new to Ratsun" type thread, but I didn't produce any results out of my poking around. I was wondering if anyone knows anything about this or has had the same problem.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest 510kamikazifreak

Slowly spray carb cleaner or WD around the intake manifold and base of the carb, with the engine running. If the vacuum leak is one of these gaskets, the spray will restore the air-fuel ratio momentarily and the engine speed will change as a result. Go slowly and allow the engine speed to stabilize before moving to the next area. Any place that the spray causes a change in engine speed is the source of a vacuum leak.

Have you checked ignition timing and location of vacuum line to vac advance?

I have seen issues like that a few times due to vac advance being connected to manifold vac. Idle drops, vac drops, timing goes away... just snowballs on itself.

Other than what's been mentioned prior, vac leaks and basic Carb tune up.

Hope that helps.

• 3 weeks later...

You don't say if warmed up or not. If warm then the choke isn't the answer as it should be off then. It may fix the problem but isn't the cause or the proper cure.

If warmed up and stalling at low RPMs there are lots of things that cause a poor idle....

Improper valve lash setting. Too tight.

Idle mixture setting wrong

Idle speed set too low.

Timing wrong

Set check timing at 12 degrees BTDC

Set check warm valve lash ... intake 0.010" and exhaust 0.012"

Turn idle speed as low as possible. Turn idle mixture screw in and out and find the position where it idles fastest and smoothest. You may have to turn one way till it drops off then the other way till it drops off and place roughly in the middle. Turn idle speed down to comfortable level and repeat adjusting the idle mixture screw to get the smoothest fast idle you can. Turn idle speed down and repeat until you can't improve idle quality. Make sure valve clearances and timing are set first before doing this.

Idle speed should be 650 for manual and 650 for automatic when in gear so set it 100 RPM (750) higher when in neutral.