Lash pads

d510addict

So after checking my cam timing (still off at notch #3) I've decided to shim the cam tower up .030", I've ordered the shims and now am hunting for a correct lash pad. But my problem is mine are really worn and are dished on the bottom so I am unsure of how to get an accurate measure of them. I used a micrometer on the edge of the pad and it was .170". My question is considering this has a recessed bottom (and now way to get near accurate measure due to wear on top side) what would be a good lash pad side to start with to get my valve train geometery corrected. I'm looking for advice on where to start before I go on shimming to get wipe corrected.

I am also wondering if there are lash pads that are thicker than stock that still have the divot in the bottom so they recess in as I do not know if I can afford aftermarket retainers atm.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Did you put the chain on correctly and isnt off a link?

Stock lash pads are counter sunk from the factory. I think they are about .120

FLAT!!!! lash pads are usually the motorsport type for a aftermarket cams and will stick up on a stock retainer.Thus a taller lash pad uses a taller retainer.

I am also wondering if there are lash pads that are thicker than stock that still have the divot in the bottom so they recess in as I do not know if I can afford aftermarket retainers atm. ????????

sell the car

Although I am 99% sure the chain is not off a tooth, do you remember the count of links that should be between the marks on the sprockets? I'm going to take the front cover off and check a few things out soon here so I might as well check.

This is a stock cam I assume???

Need to borrow a .150 lash pad from somebody and do a wipe pattern..if the rocker (pattern) is coming of the edge of the pivot side...you still need a thicker pad....doubt it though

I started with .150 pads and then cut up a .010 feeler gauge into small pieces.

One .010 piece was slipped underneath the lash pad until I acquired a perfectly centered wipe pattern...I ended up with 3 pieces....sooo... I bought .180 pads

My cam is .484 lift

I've ran .180 pads in the stock retainer.....not recommended...but it worked fine as long as the lash is set to spec and RPM is under 6K

I have some .150 pads...actually 7...1 is a .140

..."So after checking my cam timing (still off at notch #3) I've decided to shim the cam tower up .030"...

This is a new timing chain...?....head has been shaved???

No aftermarket lash pads are 'dished'

PICS

The head as been shaved, .030" + 2-3 millings due to warpage (its been in constant use for a long time was on my grandpas l16). Its been told to me that the cam is not stock but I think at most its an l20b cam, its why I was trying to measure the current lash pads (I came up with ~.170-.174" around that range but I wasnt measuring from the recess to the top contact area) as stock thickness would mean stock cam (assuming the wipe pattern is correct). I did take a look at the wipe on an intake and exhaust. The intake was high acceptable but high, exhaust low (but very close to center).

Sealik I do not have pics as all I have is a shotty cam phone which doesn't really show anything. But if I am shimming +.030" than lash should go up .030" correct? If the lash pads I have now are the stock .120" than I think that the .150" will work. Yes I really could use 1-2 lash pads at .150" to get everything measured out then I can order new ones online somewhere. But if I cant fine 1 to borrow I might hit up Ricks cylinder head and see if they have something lying around or check through my stuff, I know I have another head but am unsure of the condition of its lash pads.

But if I am shimming +.030" than lash should go up .030" correct? If the lash pads I have now are the stock .120" than I think that the .150" will work.

Correct....if the stock lash pad is 'measured' at .120... head is shaved/.030 shims (cam raised)....one would assume .150 pads would be needed....to say the least... :D

EDIT

Actually.... the pad is not directly below the cam...soooo...considering the 1.48:1 rocker ratio...not knowing :)

Although I am 99% sure the chain is not off a tooth, do you remember the count of links that should be between the marks on the sprockets? I'm going to take the front cover off and check a few things out soon here so I might as well check.

PC140004.jpg

I did take a look at the wipe on an intake and exhaust. The intake was high acceptable but high, exhaust low (but very close to center).

Intake or exhaust valves/guides etc. have been changed at one point...thus the different valve stem height which gives you the different wipe patterns.

With .150s my wipe pattern was just catching the side of the rocker...it took .180s to center it...point is.. .010 doesn't move the pattern a lot