32/36 Progressive Carb

Nelsontr

I am putting together a 620, I have a lot of parts that are getting ready to be assembled but i will be needing a carburetor. i have been advised that for a single downdraft set up, it would be better off to go with the outlaw 38/38 and run both barrels all the time... But my financial situation would seriously benefit from the fuel economics of the Progressive 32/36 (Progressive) AT LEAST until i have a better looking income... or gas prices go down. I have had the block bored to fit 280zx flat tops and have a w58 peanut, i know that i will not be getting the most out of these high compression parts without the 38/38... but i am not looking to race it as soon as i pull off my driveway... does anyone who knows a bit more than myself (not hard to do), see any glaring issues with my decision to temporarily use the progressive 32/36? other then the loss of potential HP.

Here is a pic of the progressive:

WK663-2.jpg

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have and use both. I actually use the 32/36 on the higher-compression engine (it was a peanut W58 but now uses a peanut W53). The 38 is on an open W58. Both are L20Bs.

The 32/36 is far more streetable. Compression has nothing to do with it- the 38 breathes more. But you'll only see it at higher RPMs. The 38 bogs under heavy load below 4K. Since I never see OVER 4K in normal driving, that's a problem. The 32/36 never had that issue.

The synchronous 38 requires a somewhat different driving style but BOTH Webers are not good for slamming the throttle open. The 38 does eat more fuel.

I have and use both. I actually use the 32/36 on the higher-compression engine (it was a peanut W58 but now uses a peanut W53). The 38 is on an open W58. Both are L20Bs.

The 32/36 is far more streetable. Compression has nothing to do with it- the 38 breathes more. But you'll only see it at higher RPMs. The 38 bogs under heavy load below 4K. Since I never see OVER 4K in normal driving, that's a problem. The 32/36 never had that issue.

The synchronous 38 requires a somewhat different driving style but BOTH Webers are not good for slamming the throttle open. The 38 does eat more fuel.

Thank you much datsunaholic, that answers a lot of my questions.

I think your driving style will have the most effect on your mileage, I have never checked mileage in my current dime but when I was a lot younger I ran a 510 with a hot l20 and 32/36 carb and couldn't get better than mid teens for mileage, while other guys with softer feet could get in the 20s with similar cars. On a side note I have run a 32/36 converted to syncro and it gave a barely noticeable increase in performance. If your building a hot rod you will probably drive it like one, so just give up on mileage and get the 38/38. :)

You sure you want to run 10.87 compression? Not going to do much without a cam to make use of it. If running stock cam get an open chamber head... still 10 compression but easier to live with. Save the closed chamber untill you get a cam together.

38/38 is a violation of the first rule of carburetion 1/ Never over carb a motor.

Over carb in haste.... repent at leisure. 32/36 is far more preferable if driving.