Debating....

subedats

Hello everyone Im new to the forums. well just a little about myself before i get to the point.. well i have had my 76 620 for about 4 years now. I have been kind of doing a restomod to my truck. i just recently converted from a 3 speed auto to a 4 speed stick and im pretty happy with it. but its time for a new motor.

I know there are lots of threds about this and belive me I have looked at all of them...I have been watching them for about a month now until I have narrowed it down to these two options...

It currently has an L20B with a U67 head and 172K miles. i have a weber on it. well I have been looking around here and noticed that people are doing a Ka24e. well i have $3000 to spend on a new motor and im debating on eather doing the swap or just rebuilding the L20B and puting in a 5 speed.

My truck isnt really a daily driver and i would an increase in performance over stock.(which the KA woud do) but im just not sure....:confused:

P.S. i have a 75' 620 Long bed rolling chassis (no title)body is straight no motor or trans.willing to part out pieces or take the whole thing,( oh and im in Sierra Vista, AZ 85635) pm me if intrested...

P.P.S and i know you guys like pictures so here is the link to my cardomain

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2228552

Thank you guys so much,

Merced.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

For $3000 you could probably get some very nice work done to the L... Find a peanut head, get it ported/polished... more aggressive cam, sidedrafts, maybe L18 pistons... You might be able to track down a 5-speed to replace that four-speed you've got. You'd have a pretty nice engine setup without all the fab work needed to put in a KA. Sure, a KA would put out more power, and parts would be easier to find, but I don't think that'll make it as fast as your WRX, so why compete with it? WRX for speed, 620 for cruising.

I'm not saying that a KA would be a bad idea... I'm planning on doing the swap myself, although I'm mostly doing it because I need an automatic transmission, and the J-Series never came with an auto. But, just think about what you want from the truck. From your thread in the Truck forum, it sounds like you've taken care to keep it mostly stock, and I think it'd be a shame to replace the engine.

[quote=hang_510;lol:

asked like a true 'zoner :cool:

And yer point is?....

:lol:

Subedats-i was asking as i was going to do the KA-24e swap and to make the AC compressor fit was a nightmare.Basically forcing an up-grade to rack & pinion(the expensive one.)

And i just happen to have a Ka-24E(truck motor)complete wiring harness & computer for sale.Nudge,nudge-;)

if i ever set foot in AZ again, ill have the A/C on full!

No doubt. I went to college there. I trailered my "Dark Green" 240Z down to drive daily. It had no ac and I sat in traffic every day to work and back from college....OMG I wanted to kill myself, I think the heater was colder:lol:

Z-Train... I was hoping to use a KA with A/C in my truck... is it really that much of a hassle to install it? Is there another A/C compressor that would fit on the KA and not interfere with anything, or is it too much of a hassle?

Sorry for the thread hijack...

The steering box doesn't allow ANY compressor to mount on the DS side of the engine.So i thought,COOL!-a perfect excuse to install rack & pinion.Nope.Without a high $$ custom rack,no off the shelf rack will work(the 620 is too narrow and bump steer is critical).Now can it be done?More than likely.Depends on how much time & $$$$$$ you want to put into it.But as the 620 in question will be my wifes daily driver,i didn't want to put that much $$ into it,as any benefits of the R&P will not be "appreciated" by the wife.

And i just happen to have a Ka-24E(truck motor)complete wiring harness & computer for sale.Nudge,nudge-;)

really??!! what about the tranny? pm me with deatals and a price.and your in tucson right?...

Yeah im still contplating on doing the KA.. the problem is where am i going to find parts to do the L20B with.. any help or pointing me in the right direction would be great. I have a motor shop that is pretty good here that would do all of the boring and resurfaceing but any know any where else that is pretty good anywhere in the Tucson Phoenix area?

The heads are interchangeable, but in this case a 2.0L block trumps a 1.8L block in terms of power and potential. I'm not sure which head is which, but if you've got a peanut head then take it off, get some work done on it, and put it on the L20B. Actually... while you're at it, see if you can get a machine shop to check the cylinders. If the cylinders in both blocks are good and just need a hone, then take the pistons from the L18 (assuming they're good), throw some new rings on them, and put them in the L20B. Both sets of pistons are the same size, but the L18 pistons have less dish in them, so if you mount them in the L20B with the peanut head you'll end up about 10:1 compression, which should definately give you some kick. Then, figure out your cam and carbs, get a 5-speed, and Bob's your uncle.