z24

blasta510

I have a complete z24 and 5 speed i was planning on putting into my 510.

I have a a87 peanut head, electronic dist., that i was going to put on my l16 before i got the z24 for cheap.

I have heard things about a LZ hybrid what do you guys think about me putting the a87 head on the z24? Also what distributer would i have to use? Do i have to use a l20b front cover or can i modify the z24's?

If anyone has any info on this conversion?

Or do you think i should ditch the LZ hybrid and just put the head and dist on my l16?

Thanks

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

An LZ hybrid is a lot of fab work, a lot, and would include welding the aluminum timing cover and lengthening the timing chain and moving the dip stick tube.

A P-nut head alone on an L16 won't add much to it unless you also add cam, intake, etc. but these goodies are available and lots are known about and have been done to the L16 performance wise.

The Z24, though not a screamer RPM wise, has 50% more displacement!!! and 1/3 more stroke!! This translates out to stump pulling power at low to mid RPMs where most driving is done. It would take a lot of mods to make an L16 equal this. Again, in all fairness it can be done and much more.

If you already have a good Z24 and tranny, I would put that in. 720 guys get good results with a Weber carb swap on their Z24s. Cost and bother wise I think the Z24 is the way to go certainly more go than an L16 and less work than a Hybrid LZ.

mike

Thanks a bunch.

An LZ hybrid is a lot of fab work, a lot, and would include welding the aluminum timing cover and lengthening the timing chain and moving the dip stick tube.

A P-nut head alone on an L16 won't add much to it unless you also add cam, intake, etc. but these goodies are available and lots are known about and have been done to the L16 performance wise.

The Z24, though not a screamer RPM wise, has 50% more displacement!!! and 1/3 more stroke!! This translates out to stump pulling power at low to mid RPMs where most driving is done. It would take a lot of mods to make an L16 equal this. Again, in all fairness it can be done and much more.

If you already have a good Z24 and tranny, I would put that in. 720 guys get good results with a Weber carb swap on their Z24s. Cost and bother wise I think the Z24 is the way to go certainly more go than an L16 and less work than a Hybrid LZ.

mike

No it is not lifted.

I just had some wheels off a galant rolled up next to it.

Here it is with some 17's off my uncles galant. the lug nuts were a diffrent thread so i could not set it down. But i am currently looking for some 16 or 17 inch wheels that i like but im not sure what i want yet.

For now im just getting it road worthy.

The stock l16 runs just not like i would like.

p3300799vd5.jpg

Here it is with factory hubcaps ;)

pa290633xc5.jpg

another ? about the swap.

Do i need to switch oil pans with my L16?

I pulled the engine out yesterday.

What else do i need to do to fit the z24 into my 510.

Good question. By definition a Z24, all Z24s are truck motors and have a rear sump which will be a problem on a 510. I think your 510 pan and pick up will fit but it will be tilted 12 degrees. Someone must have solved this problem?

another ? about the swap.

Do i need to switch oil pans with my L16?

I pulled the engine out yesterday.

What else do i need to do to fit the z24 into my 510.

Good question. By definition a Z24, all Z24s are truck motors and have a rear sump which will be a problem on a 510. I think your 510 pan and pick up will fit but it will be tilted 12 degrees. Someone must have solved this problem?

Keep the Z24 engine mounts too.