H89-Weber 32/36 jetting question

orbitz

Engine is almost finished now. So I'm starting to get all my "Go-Juice" bits in order.. Ordered an adapter plate for the 32/36 weber for my H89 manifold and head.adapterforWeber3236.jpg

http://www.cip1.ca/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=ACC%2DC10%2D5508

So I came across this Carb up here in BC and was wondering what you guys thought as far as usability on my project.. My engine will be de-smog'd and all egr stuff blocked off.. just straight air and fuel.

A15 with a nice cam. Cam Profile is this:

Valve Lash 0.020" Intake 0.022" Exhaust Hot

Lift

Intake 0.328" at cam; 0.492" at valve.

Exhaust 0.328" at cam; 0.492 at valve.

Duration

Intake 302 deg advertised; 262 deg at 0.050" valve lift.

Exhaust 302 deg advertised; 262 deg at 0.050" valve lift.

Valve Timing at 0.050" valve lift.

Intake opens 29 BTDC; closes 53 ABDC.

Exhaust opens 57 BBDC; closes 25 ATDC.

These timing numbers 2 deg Advance; 102 deg Intake center line

If you guys think its shit let me know! The original Weber 32/36 carbs are available here but a few 100 bucks more.

Next question was:

What do you A series guys run as far as jetting on those 32/36's? I'm on vancouver Island just above Washington State so very similar temp and altitude. max about 4100 feet,1240 meters.

There is some build info in the project datto section of the forum with the Title "b310 found under tarp" I wanna do this build right with the end result being a nice A15/H89 with my Twim Dell'orto Set up. But for now I'm keeping it single carb till she's broken in nicely.

Thanks for the help/comments/criticism!!

Orbitz

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Cam looks OK, it is slightly more duration than a stock A15 cam

Genuine made-in-Italy Weber is about same price at $350 USD. Plus it's already jetted for H89/A15, buy it at http://redlineweber.com. If you buy the Solex-Weber made-in-china is jetted for a VW. K624 comes with adapter and air cleaner. $350-$400 depending on where you buy it.

Cam looks OK, it is slightly more duration than a stock A15 cam

Genuine made-in-Italy Weber is about same price at $350 USD. Plus it's already jetted for H89/A15, buy it at http://redlineweber.com. If you buy the Solex-Weber made-in-china is jetted for a VW. K624 comes with adapter and air cleaner. $350-$400 depending on where you buy it.

Should I get the boys at the machine shop to give any changes to give her a bit more snap? still want to be able to send the wife to the shops and not have her burn the crap outta the clutch! it'll have a Bprojects 3.7kg flywheel and OEM clutch. that is until i swap over to a 5 speed dog-leger. I you think a profile change would benifit a bit more fun without killing her let me know! Think I'll be goin with that RedlinK624 kit.

From the specs, that cam sounds like it is going to be pretty mild. All the Nissan Competition cams had higher lift. Do you know what RPM range the cam is for? Not sure what your goal is, but I'd be getting a custom cam with more lift. I'd call Isky (who made cams for Nismo) and ask them what they advise.

As for the wife driving it, I'd put a near-stock lightweight flywheel (A12 flywheel is lighter than A14/A15). It'll help with taking off. The flywheel weight won't make a difference whether you have a 4-speed or 5-speed. OEM clutch is good so she can operate it easily, an A15 such as you are building won't overpower the stock A15 pressure plate unless you plan on doing drag-style launches.

Should I get the boys at the machine shop to give any changes to give her a bit more snap?
What are you doing to get more power out of the A15? Weber 32/36 carb will be good from 5,000 to 6,500 RPM, but below that will only match the stock carb. Depending on the air cleaner you use it will sound meaner.

For more snap, I'd put in 79mm pistons. It'll give 120 more CCs -- about 2x more power increase than going from 9:0 to 10:0 compression increase will.

A stock A15 (jdm version with H89 head) made 83 HP with the stock 248/256 cam. It made peak power at 6,000 RPM with the stock carburetor.

My goal is to have the A15 block, bored .30 thou, H89 GT Light Cylinder head which i have, New con rods,pistons,rings, bearings, pushrods, cam,pretty much everything on my build is BRAND new except the block itself and the slight use on the GT Light head from Peter Zekert. this year I just want to break it in nicely with out messin it up. Then this winter do adjustable cam pulley, tensioner, rally spec cam, twin Dello's all which i have in the shop new in boxes. So again this year just want to have good reliability and some fun on a few ratsun roadtrips to the south west coast.

I'm happy to leave the 4 speed in her this year. keeping the lightweight flywheel on the build.

Good on ya.

A GT-Lite head from Peter Zekert is good stuff. The Weber 32/36 will just choke it down. It probably is good from what, 3,500-8,500 HP? What did Peter say. I would get a camshaft to match the heads, and gear it appropriately, at least a 4.375 diff or even the 4.875. Keep that engine revved up. The 4-speed would be good to keep it above 4,500 RPM. The A15 stock block/pistons will do 8,500 RPM but it needs a good carb/head/exhaust to make any power that RPM.

Btw, 0.030 pistons won't make any noticeable power. That's only 0.5 mm overbore, a "cleanup" overbore for when the cylinder bore is scratched.

Good on ya.

A GT-Lite head from Peter Zekert is good stuff. The Weber 32/36 will just choke it down. It probably is good from what, 3,500-8,500 HP? What did Peter say. I would get a camshaft to match the heads, and gear it appropriately, at least a 4.375 diff or even the 4.875. Keep that engine revved up. The 4-speed would be good to keep it above 4,500 RPM. The A15 stock block/pistons will do 8,500 RPM but it needs a good carb/head/exhaust to make any power that RPM.

Btw, 0.030 pistons won't make any noticeable power. That's only 0.5 mm overbore, a "cleanup" overbore for when the cylinder bore is scratched.

Stoked on all this info and tec knowledge! again many thanks you guys!

I emailed peter the other day and asked him what the cam was good for..Now this is taking into concideration the fact that he built this Head AND ran the cam with TWIN'S.. not a single carb... Here is the response... I'll let you guys put in yer 2 cents and let me know what you think.. Again the Cam Profile numerbs are Above!

"It should have a wide range of power, between 3500 - 8000. We found

that it did make power past 7500, but shifting there produced more

torque than going to 8000. Peter"

Not sure what he means about shifting there producing more torque than going to 8000...(?)

So again guys I want to jet this new 32/36 up to be a great break in time for the motor.. I know that .30 thou is nothing on an over bore... that will come later...Gonna build a second block up with another head from peter... Anyways a little off track...

Should I order some larger/smaller jet's, or other carb bits to help this car scoote along nicely for the time being?

orbitz

Not sure what diff in in her... Car is going to the BIG shop to get torn apart and have the 4 speede rebuild and put up for sale and everything else IE. brakes, steering, RUST!, and diff all checked out so I'll have some number in a few days.