Putting a -63 transmission into a '82 210 car

BillM

I have a -63 transmission (5-speed) out of a B210 in the garage and wanted to see if it would fit into my '82 210 wagon. I have a "economizer" A15 engine with no power but great gas mileage so don't need the strength of the -63 but was just curious if it would fit.

It does. There is enough room between the transmission and the body for me to put my hand all the way around (guessing about 1" clearance minimum everywhere).

I tried to use a common 210 automatic driveshaft but found that it is about 5 3/8" too short (it is 47 3/4" long, needs to be 53 1/8" long).

I used the common 210 transmission mount and had to open up all four of the mounting holes and offset them but if I measured I could have just drilled new holes. I will bet that there is a trans mount that fits but I don't have one. I used the rear set of holes but still had to move the holes.

The two other issues are that the speedo cable and clutch slave cylinder are both on the opposite sides from where they need to be but that can be fixed.

The clutch disk from the B210 5-speed needs to be used but it just fits fine where the 210 one was.

Here is a link to some photos.

http://s1164.photobucket.com/albums/q573/billmasq/

Bill

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Good to hear.

This looks like a followup to your topic B210 5-speed into a 210?

I used the common 210 transmission mount

Which one? There are three common 210 crossmembers: Auto, 56-series and 60-series

I think the rubber insulator for 60-series and Auto are interchangeable. But they have different part numbers and different specs (compliance of the rubber).

So to use this B210 5-speed gearbox you need a B210 Auto/5-speed driveshaft. A B110 auto shaft would probably work too (it is 5mm shorter).

I didn't realize the 210 automatic transmission was longer than the B210 automatic transmission!

* 53-1/8" is 1349 mm -- the B210 auto driveshaft is 1345 mm (end-to-end). So that matches.

* The 210 driveshaft that didn't work was 47-3/4" (1213 mm). Spec for 210 auto shaft is 1208 mm.

• 2 weeks later...

The two other issues are that the speedo cable and clutch slave cylinder are both on the opposite sides from where they need to be but that can be fixed.

So why would the clutch arm be on the passenger side. Is that trans you have from a right hand drive car?

That is just where the clutch arm is, not specifically a RHD thing. You can extend the soft line cheaply using a 280zx front brake hose ~$9, not the greatest but it does work.

I was able to use the stock speedo cable with some rerouting, but that was on a B210 so it might be slightly different for the 210.