rear spoilers anyone?

DaElv

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes but it doubt if it will decrease drag. For some pickups, removing the tailgate will decrease drag. But for most pickup leaving it on is better for aerodynamics.

Or are you only interested in looks?

http://datsun1200.com/uploads/photos/20968.jpg

http://datsun1200.com/uploads/photos/19345.jpg

http://datsun1200.com/uploads/photos/15526.jpg

Im pretty sure that they disproved that on Mythbusters. I know a lot of people thinking that dropping the tailgate decreases drag and improves MPG, but they could not prove that under any circumstances.

im actually looking into increasing drag and adding some much needed down force to my rear end... while also making it look cool :D...i like the blue truck but maybe if it was alittle shorter and swept up at the end. thanks for the ideas tho!

You could always just throw some sand bags in the back of your truck above your axels. People do it in the Winter all the time.

i could do that.. im putting a 16gal fuel cell as far back and low as possible so that should help some as long as the tank is full at all times :D

no chance id do that..... i like the letters too much!!

Yes.

im actually looking into increasing drag and adding some much needed down force to my rear end... while also making it look cool :D...i like the blue truck but maybe if it was alittle shorter and swept up at the end. thanks for the ideas tho!

A toneau cover over the box may help with drag. Down force is over rated. The drag from ploughing the air outweighs any downward 'gain'. If you want more stability at speed, lower it. A spoiler on a truck looks worse than on a Civic. Added weight does two things. It has to be accelerated to speed so it uses up more gas... a heavier vehicle always gets worse mileage. More weight has to be stopped so braking performance is compromised and stopping distance increased. (handling would also be afected)

That one was made out of plexiglas heated to make the bends, then had thin aluminum glued to it for some strange reason. Maybe for strength?

It was on the truck when I bought it...lol But, was definitley homemade...they did a good job though. Thing was strong...then when I painted it, it was even stiffer.

That one was attatched to the bed cover...no reason you couldn't attach it to the tailgate.

Yes but it doubt if it will decrease drag. For some pickups, removing the tailgate will decrease drag. But for most pickup leaving it on is better for aerodynamics.

20968.jpg

19345.jpg

15526.jpg

Ew.

Ew.

Ew.

Another useless opinionistic post by:

Siempreloco

He's doing the nascar style like on my old Dodge...not the ones in those pictures...lol Its safe.

And, no problem. I loved that spoiler...and best of all...I was the only one with one! :P

Also, if you know anyone with a metal break, you can make one from aluminum for chepa usually out of someones scrap alum.

20968.jpg

19345.jpg

15526.jpg

These are in violation of the first rule of aerodynamics. Form must always follow function. Besides the 620 is perfect as it is.

Exept if you leave it completely stock it would be the same as other stock restorations which i find quite dull.....if it was in mint stock condition i wouldnt have bought it because it takes the "project" out of it... but to some their own...if i said that correctly ha

• 2 years later...

I had one on my Ram and loved it. And, the truck would noticably squat around 100mph...lol Did have a bed cover to, though.

DSC05636.jpg

I miss my truck sad.gif

I really like that spoiler! I'm going to make one similar, for my 96 Ram, in my synthetics/composite class out of carbon fiber. Do you have any more pics/info on yours?