More questions

jrbd10

I heard that adding a high performance ignition coil would increases power and also it will make more power than a high performance Distributor. Now I was looking on Autozone for a high pro Coil and its significantly cheaper than the Distributor. But I don't know which coil is better or what the difference is. And what Distributor to buy. anyone wanna help? the car is 1974 Datsun 710 L18

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I heard that adding a high performance ignition coil would increases power and also it will make more power than a high performance Distributor. Now I was looking on Autozone for a high pro Coil and its significantly cheaper than the Distributor. But I don't know which coil is better or what the difference is. And what Distributor to buy. anyone wanna help? the car is 1974 Datsun 710 L18

Keep your eyes peeled for the infamous 'blackbox' distributor. They come in the '77-'79 200SX and some of the '79 and '80 trucks. It eliminates the (dual?) points distributor that you have, which will always cause sloppy performance. You can run the stock coil, and gain some performance.

Read the above post. Don't waste your money on anything else. Even with a matchbox there is little difference, maybe start a little better but once in, you can forget it and never have to worry about replacing/cleaning/adjusting points again.

Anything else is for show. Don't get fooled because it has a name and is shiny, oh... and EXPEN$$IVE. Spend the money you save on a Weber carb or something that will give you actual performance.

Read the above post. Don't waste your money on anything else. Even with a matchbox there is little difference, maybe start a little better but once in, you can forget it and never have to worry about replacing/cleaning/adjusting points again.

Anything else is for show. Don't get fooled because it has a name and is shiny, oh... and EXPEN$$IVE. Spend the money you save on a Weber carb or something that will give you actual performance.

Thanks Datzenmike for the props. I wasn't even going to mention carb options because I thought he had something else, like a downdraft Weber, already in place. I enjoyed my Weber, but it went to another car. I'm going for the SUs, I love the look ever since I was 13 and saw them in the Haynes manual for my 610. Then, when I got the car I asked about the SUs, and was told they are not smog legal in California. That statement gave me so much resolve that I had to have them. Now the car is outside of the smog requirements, and now I have them, and I can't wait to get them all set up on my L20.