Benny's beater 620 tackle box

benny620

Hello all. this is just a little work in progress thread on my beaten and bashed 620 longbed.

I picked it up along with an equally flogged and even rustier 720 from a mate who wanted some yard space back.

Its a j15 powered column shift 4 speed, drums all round, the usual tin worm damage, a few (quite a few) dings and ripples, oh and its been rolled at some point in its life.

Mechanically i have no immediate plans for it other than a service and tune, runs pretty well considering it probably hasn't been serviced in 10 years.

On the outside i'm slowly straightening up the uglier bits, filling holes and will give it a rough and ready paint job sooner or later.

I have lowered the front end a fair bit and will go lower yet (re indexed) and removed a leaf from the rear, ordering some 4 inch blocks in the next few days, also ordered some little chrome fender mirrors.

Heres a couple of pics before i touched it,

dsc00103fec.jpg

dsc00102zk.jpg

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guys

1st Tip First picture shows steering wheel on the RHS

2nd his location is Kangaroo Island Google it Is large island of South Australia

3rd J15 and 4 speed on the column is an Australia or Asian thing

4th Welcome to another Aussie 620 owner.More pics.

Guys

1st Tip First picture shows steering wheel on the RHS

2nd his location is Kangaroo Island Google it Is large island of South Australia

3rd J15 and 4 speed on the column is an Australia or Asian thing

4th Welcome to another Aussie 620 owner.More pics.

5th We know these things

6th no one cares

7th you're just a large Georgia with weirder black people laugh.gif

To the truck man.

Make some stacks that look like didgeridoos ollz

Yes its an aus ute, and hasn't had an easy life, my mate tells me that the previous owner rolled it, the damage is not that bad considering, however the drivers door is pretty much stuffed, pillars are a little flattened and theres rust in most of the usual spots, and a nice even coat of surface rust covering everything thanks to the salty air over here

As the title suggests its just a hack for going fishing and scraping around town in. Just going to bog up all the holes and finish dropping it on its ass, paint it in killrust (its already half done) and drive it till it falls apart

i'm constantly scanning ebay for odds and ends so who knows what the final result will be, if i find some panels and a welder at a decent price i may even do a proper job of it later on. but for now its just my beater and i love it.

dsc00100h.th.jpg

dsc00106ty.th.jpg

dsc00105hx.th.jpg

came with the car, along with $2.70 and some sea shells

dsc00104by.th.jpg

for the benefit of most of you, Stubbies was a popular brand of very small shorts worn by everyone from school boys to old men all through the 70's an 80's and now i want to find some on ebay to complete the package haha.

Yes its an aus ute, and hasn't had an easy life, my mate tells me that the previous owner rolled it, the damage is not that bad considering, however the drivers door is pretty much stuffed, pillars are a little flattened and theres rust in most of the usual spots, and a nice even coat of surface rust covering everything thanks to the salty air over here

As the title suggests its just a hack for going fishing and scraping around town in. Just going to bog up all the holes and finish dropping it on its ass, paint it in killrust (its already half done) and drive it till it falls apart

i'm constantly scanning ebay for odds and ends so who knows what the final result will be, if i find some panels and a welder at a decent price i may even do a proper job of it later on. but for now its just my beater and i love it.

dsc00100h.th.jpg

dsc00106ty.th.jpg

dsc00105hx.th.jpg

came with the car, along with $2.70 and some sea shells

dsc00104by.th.jpg

for the benefit of most of you, Stubbies was a popular brand of very small shorts worn by everyone from school boys to old men all through the 70's an 80's and now i want to find some on ebay to complete the package haha.

short-shorts.jpg

• Like 1

hahhahhahhahaha maybe not 'that' small. also i just faxed off my order form to air ride and should have some shiny new 4 inch blocks in the mail sometime soon.

Got the lady boss picking up an orbital sander while she's on the mainland today, hardware is too expensive over here :(

Ordered more body filler through work (petrol station) so soon as that and my sander arrive i can crack on with hiding the holes all over it.

I'm on the lookout for some wheels for it , 15x7 or 8 (or 2 of each) trying to source these locally as the less i pay on freight the more i can throw at this black hole.

theres 2 other 620's over here, one of them is about to lose a windscreen and whatever else i may need for this, aside from the 720 the mrs also has a little datto pulsar thats more watts in the stereo than it has cc's in the engine, the hoarding has already begun.

and since we all love pictures, here's one of Handsome Pete about to face plant into the floor

bail.jpg

So i was missing a door trim.. a quick trip to the bottle shop (liquor store to you guys) collected a couple of those plastic (core flute??) beer signs.....

dsc00119xg.jpg

i'll pull them off and cover them with something at a later date, but the lesson here is almost anything can be solved with a trip to the bottle shop :)

parked the shit out of it at the local beach carpark last night. and yes that left rear corner is made entirely from expanding foam, and i still need another can...

resampled20120204030118.jpg

also managed to get it stuck on a little hump in my driveway. practical people would see this as a problem, i just smiled and thought to myself "money well spent".

however, much to my dismay i have to undo my leaf spring tampering because now i have about an inch or so between the axle and the chassis rails (thats an inch or so more than i had before removing the bump stops)

Also a bit of a query for you 620 cats out there, as the search function and i don't see eye to eye, will a sunny wheel (pictured below) fit my 620 shaft?? because it looks bad ass and my stock wheel is hideous

sunnywheel.jpg

thanks ]2edeye, looks like i'll take a gamble on it then, indicators are a minor concern as the switch is stuffed anyway. i'll cross that bridge when i get to it.

cheers Jayden, the moment i saw this miserable little rust bucket sitting full of rubbish in my mates yard i knew i had to have it, and when i learned it was going to be put up for sale on the local trading page i snapped it up before it ended up as some kids paddock basher. got it and a dual cab 720 for $250 for the pair. I'm a sucker for all things miserable and unloved.