SR20DET 1976 Datsun 620

zerickk

Hey, I just joined Ratsun today to start a build thread of this 1976 620 I bought a few months ago (Oct '11). I picked it up in Brooks off Kijiji for $250. The engine and transmission were already removed. It came with a bunch of extras including an extra transmission, rear end and cowl,

My plan is to clean it up and paint it satin black with gloss black lettering on the tailgate and gloss black wheels. I took a while to decide on what engine I wanted to use, but the relatively easy installation and low price made me decide on an SR20DET .

So here is what the truck looked like the day I picked it up..
sFvEE.jpg
6gbaO.jpg

First thing I did was strip off the doors and fenders to get a look at the rust

kmOVD.jpg

The doors are pretty good with the exception of the bottoms of the skins

orRwc.jpg

The fenders look okay in this pic, but they have loads of bondo over rust

zuHVO.jpg

The truck has obviously been repainted by someone which was helpful in saving me time in areas such as rust repair

Rust free new floor
v6mIv.jpg
63Yi2.jpg

Here are some pics of the extras i have

Transmission
f9ddo.jpg

Rear end, another transmission, block, head
1cTwe.jpg
egJpD.jpg

Since I have this in my garage in the city and not on my farm, I decided to start on the body over the winter. Then I can look into the engine in the spring. I`ll have to get some size measurements and think about mounting, weight on suspension, etc.

Sanding...finding bondo
HmyPb.jpg

De-hooked, hammered out tons of small dents, light bondo for the rest
d1AKM.jpg

Looking good with some primer. Still need to do the bottom of the box
M39NY.jpg

Passenger side
nv5zE.jpg

Sanded down and de-hooked
6c5sc.jpg

Driver`s side still needing work
QFvoi.jpg

Shot of the interior. The dash is in decent shape.
eSpeU.jpg

Awaiting an engine
XngIn.jpg

My small mess of a workspace
fGNaM.jpg

I`m currently doing more body work on the passenger side of the box. I`ll post pics as it progresses.

If anyone knows of a place I can get some new front fenders, or some originals in good condition that would be great!

Check out my youtube channel!
http://www.youtube.com/milomoviemakers

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Driver`s side still needing work

QFvoi.jpg

Did you weld the seam? If not and just filled it with body filler that is a huge no no. water will start comming through and make your work bubble. If smoothing out bed sides, all seam must be welded and welded good with no pin holes in welds. And inside of bed where seam is, needs to be seam sealed to prevent any water comming through. And the same goes for the under side of bed. It's alot of work but do you really want the work you've done go to waste?

Nice intro. Nice project! I love that you said a SR into a 620 is 'relatively easy'! Makes me think you know what you are doing. (I don't when it comes to this sort of thing, but I love watching those that do!)

Did you weld the seam? If not and just filled it with body filler that is a huge no no. water will start comming through and make your work bubble. If smoothing out bed sides, all seam must be welded and welded good with no pin holes in welds. And inside of bed where seam is, needs to be seam sealed to prevent any water comming through. And the same goes for the under side of bed. It's alot of work but do you really want the work you've done go to waste?

I ground out all the rust that was in the seam from the outside and sealed it with rust-stop, then filled it with fiberglass filler. I'm not around a welder right now (working out of my garage in the city). Once spring hits, I plan on pulling the box off and truck box lining the whole underside. I will weld the seam from the inside at that time. I'll just have to see if the filler holds up, or I will have to redo it.

Nice intro. Nice project! I love that you said a SR into a 620 is 'relatively easy'! Makes me think you know what you are doing. (I don't when it comes to this sort of thing, but I love watching those that do!)

Thanks! Haha, it should be relatively easy compared to my last engine choice of a 4BT. Looks like minimal firewall work and just moving the motor mounts forwards a bit. The only thing I know will be a new challenge is the wiring. I'm used to playing around with carburated V8's.

Well after running into some situations with rust and other bodywork where I need a welder, I decided to get my 620 a new friend...

yedqJ.jpg

I'll get it up and running and post some new progress pics soon!

Nice welder! I would love to turbo a 620 someday, its also why I joined this forum. Hey I was just searching datsun 620 sr20det and came across this guys build.

http://www.datsunminitruckin.com/sr20det-620_topic7.html

http://www.datsunminitruckin.com/sr20det-into-a-datsun-620_topic1632.html

• 9 months later...
  • 8 months later...

Hey everyone. Sorry for the massive delay in any posts. I have only been able to do a small amount of work on the truck the last 8 months because I ended up buying my friend's half of the house I am in when he moved out, and my girlfriend (now fiance) moved in. So between that and another new toy (CBR 600) my funds and garage time were a bit low. I did manage to find some rust free front fenders and get a decent start on cleaning out the engine bay. I am currently working on selling the engine that is sitting in the box so I will have more room to work.

My garage right now. Made room for Maria's car and bought some dollies to push the truck around when working on it:

X3wukCm.jpg

New Bike:

YfXiuXg.jpg

Fenders:

0WN16N1.jpg

30yYvqO.jpg

Cleaner engine bay:

T17nF8J.jpg

Trying to make space:

K98rMXb.jpg

03AwGoK.jpg

• 4 weeks later...