Hello RATSUN!! 620 parts questions

620TBAtuner

Hello hello, I'm a newbie to this forum and since it is dedicated to Datsun I figured this would be a perfect place to start. If I'm reposting an already discussed topic I apoligize for I honestly don't navigate forums, so I still have to learn the ropes.

I'm attending school to become a mechanic and have taken Engine repair, manual trans, engine performance, steering and suspension, electrical, and currently doing auto trans. So i'm not new to working on cars, that is taken care of. Although I am familiar with vehicles, I am not familiar with restoring a 1978 Datsun 620 Pickup (Kingcab!) I have noticed this site likes pictures so I will be sure to put one up asap, it is dark outside and that would not be an ideal picture. This is my first vehicle buy ever and the guy was more than sketchy, registering cost about 213$ because the guy was a jackass and put on fake tags for 2012 when really they expired in 2010. Regardless it runs and everything (air filter missing, choppy gasket jobs, soon to be pictures will verify my claims.)

Leading up to my question now, I know how to replace parts and all that wonderful stuff but I am not sure where to look for them... Is there any particular place that has been good to anybody here to get parts? My suspension ought to be replace, still have to hoist the engine out and clean the living crap out of it to destroy the oil leak. Mechanically speaking I can handle it, but the door lock on the drivers side has no hope. The lock itself works, but the linkage is a no go, a WD-40 bath didn't make the lock linkage any easier to fix. A new door would be ideal, and mirrors, seats as well (I demolished the other stock seats since the poor truck hadn't seen a mending hand in 20.)

Once again tomorrow morning I will take many a photo and shall post them up. As far as plans go, I am just attempting to fix the simple things like the door not locking and making my temp gauge work. I hope to be hearing from the world of 620 owners soon.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Things like body parts and trim, and major assembles like engine, steering box, trans, diff you will have to get from a wrecking yard or a parts truck or here from a member who has them for sale. Many other things like motors, have parts for rebuilding them like bearings and rings for a motor rebuild can be purchased from a auto parts store. High wear items like brake shoes can be gotten there as well.

• Like 1

A '78 or '79 will have almost all the extra stuff you need. '77 and older won't have front disc brakes, internally regulated alternator, electronic distributor (or dizzy) or ball joint steering. '77 and up had a 5 speed option and most other parts fit.

• Like 1

Mechanical parts are mostly available on rockauto.com

Full rebuild will run about 300$

WD40 is a water repelling rust preventative lubricant. You need to break it loose. PB Blaster should fix the locks, did mine yesterday.

Dig through some threads for ideas on seats. Most will need modification. Stock seats are made for 5'3" 100 pound people.

There's a set of chrome bullet mirror for 80$ in the parts forum.

For interior pieces and such just browse the parts forum and/or make a thread in parts wanted.

I have some stuff listed in the threads in my signature.

• Like 1

Mechanical parts are mostly available on rockauto.com

Full rebuild will run about 300$

WD40 is a water repelling rust preventative lubricant. You need to break it loose. PB Blaster should fix the locks, did mine yesterday.

Dig through some threads for ideas on seats. Most will need modification. Stock seats are made for 5'3" 100 pound people.

There's a set of chrome bullet mirror for 80$ in the parts forum.

For interior pieces and such just browse the parts forum and/or make a thread in parts wanted.

I have some stuff listed in the threads in my signature.

Great reply by the way, the PB Blaster did wonders and new seats have been added.

and i also apoligize to anyone if those pics are way too big for the page so an editor can remove them if they have to do so.

These are the baddies that i have in it now :) and oh yes only having a kingcab made these possible

truck9.jpg

this was the seat...

truck7.jpg

finally cleaned my air filter housing and got that going as well, had to take a picture in the shop to make it badass :P

truck10.jpg

and lastly, just changed the electro leaky battery and poo poo cables out for something with my spark

truck11.jpg

new ignition system is to come, i'll keep it posted :)

• 5 months later...

nice! gotta have the king cab. what seats did you end up with? the only bucket seats i could find were busted as hell. i ended up getting a pair of dodge neon seats for 25 bucks at the junkyard, i just need a dry day to weld in a bar so they will fit right.

Thanks! I bought some buckets over at O'Rielly autoparts, they aren't exactly the best but I can't argue with them. How did those dodge seats end up fitting in?

Flip the battery 180 deg so the lead contacks are farter back. as the hood nears the end the innside of the hood could touch the batter thus short out(at least on 510s w/o battery hold downs) I KNOWWWWW slam on th brakes and batter slams foward and batt shorted out on my 510.

If your gasket dont leak dont worry changing them. I hate Red RTV myself. Why pick red. Blk would be better dont ya think.

save these

oldddatsuns.com (the tech section) best site around

Ha ha previous owner must have also owned a SBC...

truck4.jpg

If there is this amount sticking out on the outside there must be some inside too just waiting to plug the rad or heater core. Never use this shit. Instead take the top piece in and trace it out on a cereal box and cut it out. Get a hand held hole punch from a dollar store and punch out the holes. Away you go. You'll never have to use the red shit or buy a gasket ever again.

1010043786.jpg

Flip the battery 180 deg so the lead contacks are farter back. as the hood nears the end the innside of the hood could touch the batter thus short out(at least on 510s w/o battery hold downs) I KNOWWWWW slam on th brakes and batter slams foward and batt shorted out on my 510.

If your gasket dont leak dont worry changing them. I hate Red RTV myself. Why pick red. Blk would be better dont ya think.

save these

http://vimeo.com/19077890

oldddatsuns.com (the tech section) best site around

Ha ha previous owner must have also owned a SBC...

If there is this amount sticking out on the outside there must be some inside too just waiting to plug the rad or heater core. Never use this shit. Instead take the top piece in and trace it out on a cereal box and cut it out. Get a hand held hole punch from a dollar store and punch out the holes. Away you go. You'll never have to use the red shit or buy a gasket ever again.

1010043786.jpg

Thank you guys so much, the battery I didn't even think of and it isn't even held in place so that would have really sucked..

And good tip for the gasket, that glue crap makes it look bad also not to mention will more than likely clutter up my cooling system.

Sorry about not keeping up to date on pictures on progress, a full time summer job slammed me after an internship but soon enough once those paychecks start rollin in there is to be a lot more to come

• 1 month later...

As far as mirrors go, anything that helps me see. I bought some from O'Rielly's and that was a mistake so now I'm off to the junkyard to get some oversized elephant ear lookalikes. Also L20B needs a rebuild... pics to come! probably later today once i snag a pan for oil and coolant the baby is being picked out of the bay. Random question, anybody else struggle with those pain in the ass bell housing bolts (2) pressed against the firewall?