dropping the oil pan

Jan_280Z

Hey guys,

So I managed to break THE longest waterpump bolt in my brother's truck when I was replacing the waterpump. As a result I'm not disassembling the whole front to hopefully drill/tap the hole. Here's the question, how exactly do I remove the oil pan? Do I remove the front cross member or do I just lift the motor up or something? Any help would be greatly appreciated at this time.

Jan

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On the 620 the cross brace can be unbolted and with some prying, removed. Now you should be able to gat at the oil pan. If this is to get the timing cover off, most people just loosen the bolts at the font and a few down the side and gently pry the pan down so the timing cover can slide forward and out. Nothing wrong with taking the whole pan out so you can replace the gasket with a nice new one.

For removing your oil pan, do what Datzenmike sid and youre also goin to have to remove the pitman arm from the passenger side frame rail. You can push the steering linkage out of the way and the pan just drops out. Shouldnt be too tough but make sure that you keep the pan bolts in order especially on the front timing cover area. Ive had to replace a broken timing cover because the PO put too long of bolts in and broke the cover when overtightening.

• 10 months later...