b310 tubs

dez

has anybody cut in to the back of the b310s to do a mini-tub or to enlarge the tubs to go low?

Im considering turning my 2dr sedan into a street/strip car and have been looking at clearance for a rim/tire combo

and have test fitted some 15x8s with a 205/50 tire and it goes as far in as they can without major rubbing but i want

the ET streets 235/50s and appears as some tub work would be needed.

short term this wouldnt be a problem but in the future i want to go with a 15x10 275/60 tire and looking for some insight on how

,much can be cut until the frame rails would need to be moved.(i dont wanna back half either)

found a thread with a TE72 getting a mini tub and this would be perfect and shows alot of similarities

http://www.importatl...adial-2JZ-Gilde

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There are no frame rails, it's a unibody.

I haven't heard of anyone doing a mini-tub. People have talked about it, said they were going to, but as far as I know no one has.

The drag racers just fit a 3/4 chassis, but I understand you not wanting to do that or a half-chassis.

Umm, there are "frame rails". Just because they are unitised into the body doesn't make them not.

I will have the same issues when I go cutting into my '78 B.

You can cut into them some, its popular in the fox body mustang crowd. It's better to add some stronger material or possible just to move them inward and re-plate the joint areas.

There isn't much room under there either way without putting it under the knife.

If you were to go with coilovers it might give an exta inch of clearance. But the rear side member is somewhat curved in the B310, so I'm not sure. Several guys have done coilovers. Then with rolling the fender lip I think you could get 235s in there. They race a lot o B310s in the carribean (they call them 140Y), you might ask this on some of the drag forums.

• 4 weeks later...

If you were to go with coilovers it might give an exta inch of clearance. But the rear side member is somewhat curved in the B310, so I'm not sure. Several guys have done coilovers. Then with rolling the fender lip I think you could get 235s in there.

Curious how coil-overs would get you more space? The stock springs are already 6-8" away from the wheel. And adding a spring to the shock (making the shock a larger diameter) should give you less clearance, not more?