Air/ Fuel

Hey guys,help shed some light pls. I've had my S-13 twin cam up and running for a month + but seem tobe fighting a rich condition. ie. fouling plugs,blue smoke at idle. Thru the on board ecu. I get solid,O2 signal,and code 55 meaning all clear on inputs. The eng,fires right up when cold,idles smooth,but when warms -up idle begins to surge betweena bit between 1200 and 875. All continuity and grounds gd. No bog what so ever of idle. The car is still currently up on dolly with no drive shaft in it so cant test under load. Very fresh rebuild. Thanks for any help.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey guys,help shed some light pls. I've had my S-13 twin cam up and running for a month + but seem tobe fighting a rich condition. ie. fouling plugs,blue smoke at idle. Thru the on board ecu. I get solid,O2 signal,and code 55 meaning all clear on inputs. The eng,fires right up when cold,idles smooth,but when warms -up idle begins to surge betweena bit between 1200 and 875. All continuity and grounds gd. No bog what so ever of idle. The car is still currently up on dolly with no drive shaft in it so cant test under load. Very fresh rebuild. Thanks for any help.

How much oil is beeing burned up? I am in the process of rebuilding my VQ on my Z due to bad rings. Fouled plugs, oily smoke out the exhaust...1 qt every 500 miles!

Do a leakdown to see how much is escaping past the rings.

How much oil is beeing burned up? I am in the process of rebuilding my VQ on my Z due to bad rings. Fouled plugs, oily smoke out the exhaust...1 qt every 500 miles!

Do a leakdown to see how much is escaping past the rings.

0 oil that I can tell. Fuel,yes. I changed the oil after about 3 hr. run time sence it started tohave lite smell of fuel.Lite bluish exhaust only at idle. Again, this eng is very fresh,anything and most everything internaly wae either resized or replaced. New Crower St. 1 cams,even went back from the 370 cc injector to the stock 250cc inj. I believe it is. I went out to double check timing and threw a #55 for un-plugging TPS while running. I feel real secure with wireing and ECU. I dont know but should know how many deg. to set the timming with the cam set I am using. None of the injector set-ups were new that I have tried. Thanks for help and sugestions.

Three hours of running without driving?? The first 1/2 hour is the best time to seat the rings. http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

Over rich would be black smoke. Oil is blue. Water/coolant is white steamy. Doesn't take much oil to make bluish smoke.

Yes, if the engine oil is overful, or sometimes if it is diluted, changing the oil will "fix" it. Or if it is not the rings then next most likely is the valve seals & guides. Changing the oil can temporarily help with that -- or at least make the smoke thinner and harder to see.

Yes, if the engine oil is overful, or sometimes if it is diluted, changing the oil will "fix" it. Or if it is not the rings then next most likely is the valve seals & guides. Changing the oil can temporarily help with that -- or at least make the smoke thinner and harder to see.

Hey ,thanks for the helpful. Again ,this is a very fresh build,including head surfaces,deck,guides and seals.. I think I gotta act on Dat Mike's 1st. and for sure seat the rings to start with. Calling Buds machine tomorrow for cut and balance on the shaft. We'll go from there. Zilla ,pls. elaborate on the wet,dry comp. test. Would like to try. Thanks.