New truck, tranny issues

Yooperdatsun

Picked up the datsun.

took her on the maiden journey of 500 miles. first 350 went reasonably well besides the tranny didn't want to come out of 5th very easy.

and then she just went into "nuetral" while cruisin at about 55 or so. still in 5th gear but no engagement. the weird thing is that it didn't "pop" out of gear. like a false nuetral on a motorcycle when the shifter forks get bent. but I couldn't even pull the shifter back into nuetral. had to really reef on the handle to getter back.

finished the ride in 4th gear.

been searchin here and google all night and can't find anything.

any thoughts?

seeing this is a sub 1000 dollar truck I'm not gonna dump too much money. most drives she goes on will be sub 60mph so worst case scenario just get some bigger rear tires. haha.

pics up tomorrow.

thanks.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What kind of truck is it? If it has an L16, it can do 70 mph with only 4th gear. Just let it rev. Speed limits were 75 mph back in 1969.

Mine had an exhaust leak~ and above 60 it sounded like I should file a flight plan w/ NASA....

sorry guys....

its a 78 620 with a 5 speed. x18k miles on the odo... most likely 118k.

did some research and apparently the 4 speeds 4th rear ratio is 1 to 1 and the 5 speeds 4th gear ratio is the same... so unless its an easy fix or I can find a good used 5 speed I'm thinking its not gonna be worth it.

I do remember reading that u need to watch play in the drive shaft????????

Picked up the datsun.

took her on the maiden journey of 500 miles. first 350 went reasonably well besides the tranny didn't want to come out of 5th very easy.

any thoughts?

I think you should have checked all fluids including the rear end first before driving 500 miles.

I wonder why you wouldn't change all of it??

Takes more time, will get a lot messier, cost more money for a transmission which the 5th gear is not working. Maybe by the time the weather warms up I'd decide to get a replacment transmission. If, not and going to keep this one then change the oil. That's my thinking today.