Which rad is which?

KC Phirus

So when I bought my KC and parts truck neither had a rad and both were reported bad. The one I put in hold water well enough to function. Problem is the fan shroud does not fit. They have slight differences and It seems the rad I am using is slightly wider than the other and the fan shroud will not fit it. Ones from a 78 other a 79. My question is which rad go's in the 78 King Cab?

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The '75 through '79 radiators should interchange, so what you have is probably not a 78 or 79. Of course aftermarket radiators could be slightly different and cheaper ones might not have the holes in the right places. What you could have there is an early 620 radiator.

The BIG difference was between the early 620 radiators (72-74) and late (75-79). These are NOT completely interchangeable since the bolt placement and size was slightly different. The most noticeable difference though is the '73-74 have the upper inlet on the PASSENGER side of the radiator, whereas 75-79 has it on the DRIVER'S side.

Now, 75-79 radiators weren't all identical either, there were several variations. Other than with/without transmission coolers, there were 2-row and 3-row radiators. The '79 ALWAYS used a 3-row radiator, but I've transplanted a '79 radiator into a '76 with zero fit issues (including mixing '79 radiators with '76 shrouds, putting a '79 radiator AND shroud in a '76 cab, etc)

They are the same depth and height. Inlet and outlet are in the same spots. They both have plastic shuttlecocks on the lower SIDE. I remember my 74 with an automatic having a brass shuttlecock on the bottom of the rad. They seem to be correct to the trucks just don't know which was which. I'm just gonna get them both repaired. Nothing wrong with a backup since they both fit.

I think you mean a petcock. 620s didn't have petcocks from the factory, just a screw-in plastic plug, which had a notch molded in so you could have a more "controlled" mess when draining. Even in '74. Folks could add a petcock if they wanted though, it was fairly common to see them swapped in. Anyhow, Most 620 drains are on the rear face of the lower tank, driver's side. My A10 (78-81 510) all have bottom facing ones. I'd have to check my '74, since it has a factory radiator. It could be on the bottom, but the ladder frame is awful close.

If they are both the same, why do you want to know which one came from which truck? Am I missing your question?

One is wider than the other thus the fan shroud wont fit it. I was wondering if that may have been a difference in the 79. I'm just gonna get them both fixed and use the one the fan shroud fits and drill new mounting holes if necessary. fugetabootit