B210 5-speed

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I find that when I am looking for hard to get parts, if I go to car-part.com http://car-part.com/ there is usually something available.

Just did a search for a 1978 B210 5 speed (63 series dogleg) and turned up 13 listings nationwide. I bought 2 thru this service and had them shipped from KY to NH.

To complete your swap you will need a new clutch slave and to extend the clutch hydraulic line (the slave is on the opposite side), a B210 5 speed clutch disc (the transmission's input shaft is bigger), the drive shaft will need to be re-made if you do not get the one that came out of the car (the output shaft/yoke spline is bigger on the 5 speed) and you'll need to either get the transmission crossmember with the transmission or modify yours. The 78 5 speed is not a bolt-in to a 4 speed car, but getting the related parts from the donor car makes it alot easier.

A 60 series 5 speed from a 210 (79-82) would be a much closer fit. You will be able to use your existing clutch slave/line, clutch disc and the drive shaft, they will all fit. The transmission crossmember may need to be modified, but that is about all that is needed.

Trying to find an inexpensive 60 series 5 speed may be tough. These are used with a Rivergate Kit in the MG Midget 5 speed conversion and they get big money ($400-$500) on eBay for a "bench shifts/turns in all the gears" transmission.

Good Luck.

You will also need to mod the tunnel or , run no speedo, and weld up the,reverse light sensor. And,before you get started measure the engine bay the best you can to get the motor back unto the correct spot and angle., its a tight squeeze thru the trans mounts on a four speed body also.

Might aswell do a b310 5 speed.

Parts are readily available for 210, but you have a B210 the lesser-loved version.

The B210 5-speed uses a stock auto driveshaft, and the tunnel needs no mods. All B210 use the same tunnel and has the holes for the different gearbox crossmember. It's not a big deal, just get all the right parts when you do a swap.

Just like fitting a 5-speed to a Z that came with a 4-speed, get all the parts that go with it, not just the gearbox alone.

The B210 5-speed uses a stock auto driveshaft, and the tunnel needs no mods. All B210 use the same tunnel and has the holes for the different gearbox crossmember.

Nope, not even close, every tunnel is different, the auto tunnel is realy big and a 5 speed bolts right in,becouse of the extra holes you spoke of, the a 5 speed does not have an exta set of holes. the four speed tunnel is way way smaller, its a realy tight fit, at the right angle the speedo hits the tunnel, and the reverse sensor doesnt even fit in trans. The reverse sensor doesnt fit at any angle

Theres sacrifices youl have to make, just get an auto rear and tall tires, it realy does help.

If my crossmember broke, my trans would have a real hard time fitting thru the body mounts, probly make it home ok, 63a it is.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.