Should my piston look like this???

Mr Raiders

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I should get my motor back from the machinest tomorrow, if my old pistons work for you, they're yours for cost of shipping. They are standard bore L20B pistons.

That's awesome, man I should of never left Oregon. Quote me shipping to 59101 please. Gonna go get some of the parts cleaned up and surfaces cleaned and ready for install today. Also take a few more Oics too, spark plugs and cylinder wall.

I'll post them later tonight.

So got some things cleaned up and took the pics of the spark plugs and some other stuff. I also think I found the cause of the water in the oil, seems the head gasket was not sealing right. Anyways here's the pics.

030112-1009.jpg

Spark plug still in.

030112-1013001.jpg

Here is one of the spark plugs, they were new before the trip.

030112-1015.jpg

Here's the cylinder wall were the damaged piston was.

Interesting thing when I cleaned off the top of the piston to get a better look at it. Apparently there were several pieces of the ring

inside the piston, or something, cause this it looked bad.

030112-1052.jpg

There must of been pieces of the ring bouncing around for a while.

030112-1045.jpg

Here's the fail gasket, build up for a while.

And the next pics are of the only markings I could find on the pistons.

030112-1054.jpg

Top, ZV, and SID

030112-1054001.jpg

inside, 12150P

030112-1055.jpg

other side, S inside a shield.

Well that's what I have today, Gonna be a couple days till I work on here again.

Something hard bouncing around. Stock pistons are very brittle hard with lots of silicon in them. If the piston looks like this what does the much softer head look like??? If the head is undamaged I would say this damage came earlier and the head was replaced. Usually the plug gets hit and bends the electrode.

030112-1054.jpg

Something hard bouncing around. Stock pistons are very brittle hard with lots of silicon in them. If the piston looks like this what does the much softer head look like??? If the head is undamaged I would say this damage came earlier and the head was replaced. Usually the plug gets hit and bends the electrode.

030112-1054.jpg

OK, I haven't cleaned the head yet, put from what I can see there is no damage to it. The plugs look fine too. your probably right about it having the damage and head redone or replaced.

So here are some oics of the pistons I have left from my motor. The one on the left has the beginnings of some erosion let me know which ones you want. They say U34 on the top next to the indexing mark.

391030_323695394319142_100000360528308_1130120_1046824859_n.jpg

395130_323695507652464_100000360528308_1130121_488343042_n.jpg

Kewl. The one to the right seems like the best looking one. Not sure if it meens anything but mine don"t have the U34 on them, they have ZV than SID or STD.

That's because his are genuine Nissan (U67) and yours are aftermarket (Sealed Power).

A lot of guys replace the pistons, so you see a lot of aftermarket pistons. Even though it is not called for as part of a standard rebuild. Only if they are damaged do they need replacing.

That's because his are genuine Nissan (U67) and yours are aftermarket (Sealed Power).

A lot of guys replace the pistons, so you see a lot of aftermarket pistons. Even though it is not called for as part of a standard rebuild. Only if they are damaged do they need replacing.

O- ok, so does that mean they won"t work if I use one of them?

Thanks for the oic, I don"t have one of the measurement of mine, but I just triple checked it the other day, an it's the same. PM me with some info to send you the shipping costs on that piston. My brother in-law has the paypal account and he goes back out of town Sunday for 4 days, was kinda hoping to have it on it's way by than. Thanks a lot for all the info, help, and the piston. Don't worry about the doors, not a priority, plus can't imagine the shipping cost from OR to MT. Course the wrecking yards here just crushed more than 3/4 of there cars and that of course included the only two 620's both yards had.

Thanks for the piston Big Schlink, Your my hero for the week. Thanks DatzenMike for the (as always) accurate, detailed and informative help. Thanks everyone else for all the helpful info. I'm figuring I will start a Build thread in the Project Datto section, seeings as this kinda really turned into one. No need to keep this one and move it, I will just start a new one. So if anyone wants to follow this build, come on over and check it out.