Headlight Issue

Stubby

Ok, I recently have been having a little trouble with my headlights. I am sure it is an easy fix, but thought it would be easier asking the people that have a clue instead of wondering around the engine bay trying to figure out what is wrong. So here is the scenario.

I have headlights, but I no longer have my high beams.

I have low beams, but they are in the high beam position on the steering column.

When I switch back to low beams the lights go off.

Any ideas. Sounds like a relay to me, but I don't know. Thanks in Advance

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You need to douche your fuse block then proceed from there. Remove it and soak it in vinegar for some period of time. There are several posts here on the appropriate technique. The headlights on my 510 were much like yours and worked great after a good douche. If they are still acting up after that then you can look at relay, switch, wire, etc.

Ok, I recently have been having a little trouble with my headlights. I am sure it is an easy fix, but thought it would be easier asking the people that have a clue instead of wondering around the engine bay trying to figure out what is wrong. So here is the scenario.

I have headlights, but I no longer have my high beams.

I have low beams, but they are in the high beam position on the steering column.

When I switch back to low beams the lights go off.

Any ideas. Sounds like a relay to me, but I don't know. Thanks in Advance

If the vinegar bath and fuse replacement didn't fix it, then most likely culprit would be the Headlight Relay (6 pin plug) which on a 510 is found next to the passenger strut tower next to the horn relay (3 wires) close to the fuse box. Disconnect the plug and all head lights will go out, but the parking lights should still work with the head light switch pulled out. You can try opening up the cover (bend four tabs) and clean the contacts.

The relay controls the high beam activation the coil energizes and pulls the connection to complete the ground circuit for the high beam. Also, the low beam wiring goes through this part too.

FWIW, you should be able to find a replacement Nissan part number B5230-89985 Headlight relay with harness to use the factory plug (as now it is rewired and using a more common Bosch type 5-pin relay).

• 5 months later...

OK I see you posting alot of proplems with your car.

Now was any of this stuff working or really your putting a car together from scratch.

Most time just clean the relay and or ck the fuse in the fuse box will fix it.

If you hear a click on the relay when you hit the highbeam switch you know the switch is working.

Could be dirty contacks in the relay. Then you have to open it up and lightlt sandpapart eh contacks and it should work.

PS you could alwasy ohm out the lights just to make sure they are good and not broke.

also if this has a alarm where it triggers the headlites to flash then I say its wired badly. As 510s are switchable ground and alrms they rewire it to switchable power.