Has anybody tried these for their 1200?

JohnVander

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You can do both and because you have to cut the zx lower spring supports off anyway, you could use your 210 springs. (the zx springs are too wide and won't fit up into the strut tower anyway) Just carefully cut the 210 lower spring supports off and slip onto the zx struts with your 210 spring above. To support the lower spring mount and to make it adjustable use a split collar to clamp it in place. If lowering you really should stiffen the spring by removing about one coil from it. This will allow the car to sit lower but at the same time increase the spring rate and limit suspension travel on bumps.

This is what I did on my 710 using Maxima struts.

strutmods004Large-1.jpg

strutmods006Large.jpg

710 on left was cut to the same height as the Maxima spring on right. This increased the spring rate from 100 to 150 and was just right.

struts006Large.jpg

strutmods004Large.jpg

Finished brakes had the massive Maxima caliper and vented rotor. The zx ones are just slightly larger. The cost was $20 for the split collars, an angle grinder and cutoff blade and this gives me adjustable height and stiffer spring rate.

710strutupgrade004Large.jpg

Additionally, while the zx struts are disassembled, I drained the thin 5w hydraulic oil and replaced it with thicker 20w motorcycle fork oil. This increased the dampening and in effect renewed (and improved) the shock absorber. Cost $17 for the oil. Expensive coil overs look nice but how many times a week do you change or need to change your ride height?

I was wondering if these http://www.ground-co...php/II=61/CA=93 were a good way to go, or if it's best to switch over to a 280z assembly for the better brakes?

Yes, several of us 1200 owners have used the Ground Control coilovers. But it doesn't change your brakes.

280Z struts have a different kingpin inclination than 280ZX, so don't use the 280Z.

But there are better ways to get brakes. A larger brake setup which bolts to the stock lightweight 1200 strut -- larger than the 280ZX strut brakes -- is to use M. Klotz bracket, only $60.