620 Gas Mileage

atkinson40

Civic blew a HG and have been driving this pony up into the mountains and on into Mexico twice a week. Pulls up into the mountains w/o even breathing hard in 4th. What I've noticed is she likes to cruise about 50mph +/-5mph. Motor is 1.8,4 speed, with Hitachi carb. I'm putting in Mexican gas because its $2.8 a gallon vs $3.80 a gallon in SD. I'm calculating the gas mileage to be at least 27 MPG. Can this be right? Kevin

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Mexican gas probably isn't laced with Ethanol either. But 27 is fair. I've seen stock ones get that, but also seen stock ones get as bad as high teens (my Mom's '73 with 4.88 rear gears, for instance). I've gotten 35 highway but that took some doing and acceleration was completely sacrificed. L18, Weber 32/36 jetted for a 1.4L, ignition advanced right to the edge of pinging, a late 280ZX 5-speed, and the front end lowered to reduce drag.

Hmm, my friends 521 gets like 15-16 on average. Easy take offs always. L16 with a 32/36, 3.889 rear end. It is odd, I think the weber needs to be rejetted, but oddly enough it is the exact same jets as mine, and I got great mileage in my goon with the auto, (same rear end too!).

3.889s and he only gets mid-teens? My 5/4 Ton Chevy gets better. Something is WAY wrong. What does he do, drive 3 blocks a day and idle for 2 hours? Maybe he has a massive leak, or someone keeps stealing his gas. My 4X4 gets mid 20s, even with jets for a 2.6L Mitsubishi. Carb is like an on/off switch. Hell, I got mid/low 20s with the choke stuck on with my daily. I get mid-20s with a freaking 38DGAS on my '74. All those have stock 4.38 rears too.

Googled Mexican gas quality and came up with it probably has higher sulfur content which will muck up cat converters and cause smog failures. Ain't got no cc on this pony and smog is a thing of the past for this year. Any reason why I should worry about burning Mexican gas? Seems to pull and run OK so far.

A bit of good news is I pressurized my civic's rad when I got it out of the car and it leaks badly. Maybe won't need to do HG there. In the car the radiator didn't seem to leak, and almost held pressure, but I was loosing fluid. I was also getting bubbles coming out of the radiator filler which I thought meant HG blown. Maybe it was trapped air. Hopefully I didn't over pressurize the rad and blow it. Going to look for a rad. -K