Diff decision??

doughboi916

Sup guys.. im currently building a 4 door 510 with a KA-T.. building the motor with a Holset HX40 Turbo... plan on 350-400 or more?? we will see what my setup will handle... ive been doing research on diffs.. by the looks of it a r160 wont handle that much power of the r180?? i was thinking about 4linking a solid rear end but dont ant to lose my handling for the occasional drift/AutoX.. .. but i think ill be mostly dragging the car... what would be the best setup for me.. any simple alternatives??

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

AutoX is usually on a flat surface. If it was up and down around corners I might agree keeping the IRS . For simple curves, by the time you have the IRS stiff enough you might as well have a solid axle anyway. Another problem with the IRS is camber and toe in on hard corners and straight ahead acceleration. Look at this bozo... think the tires are getting good contact?

13863-1971-Datsun-510.jpg

A wagon H-190 will fit for width but the rating is about 300 ft lbs. (this is a 7.4" diff)

A shortened ford 8" is 325ft lbs and an 8.8 about 500 ft lbs. These also come with rear discs and LSDs.

The WD-21 Pathfinder has a massive H-233 or slightly larger than the Ford 9", comes with 4.375 and 4.625 gears, rear disc brakes and clutch LSD. It's also a 5 link with coil suspension. Very wide at 60-ish"

The reason the 510 handles so well is the independent rear suspension. And there are many diff/axle alternatives to make it live. I'm not really up to speed on that stuff, because I only go in straight line. Seems like a Subi, or Infinity lsd and cv axles are whats being used. I recantly saw an axle setup that used VW bus cv's. They are really stout, even more so are Porsche 930cv's. You have to run somewhere in the 10's before the dragstrip tech guys send you home to put a solid axle in.

I did a backhalf with ladder bars on my 521, and it was a HELL of a lot of work. And thats with the box off and frame rails to connect it to. Your really going to have to cut that thing up to do a 4 link.

Making a car go fast in a straght line, and around cones, is 2 different worlds. Most drag cars dont even have sway bars. It will be a comprimise either way. Stick with the independent. Less work, money. head scratchting.

Look at this bozo... think the tires are getting good contact?

13863-1971-Datsun-510.jpg

Umm? I do, I think his tires are making pretty good contact. He is pulling the front tires off the ground. Now you can argue all you want about how the extreme camber means he isn't going to get any traction, but the proof is in the pudding. The front tires are off the ground.

Also, no helmet? Who would let him do that?

Yes the tire is planted on the ground but you can't deny that the insides have more weight on them than the outsides which could be just touching. Yes the front end is up but properly applied torque might require wheelie bars at the back too. Not saying 'no traction' just that it could be increased.

Also severe camber under rear end squat like that also affects the tow in at the back. Toe in ... or out is wasted power fighting itself. A solid axle is best for this.

Did some browsing and found out this guy is using a R200?? whats can those handle?? easy to modify to fit?? i did some digging around and theirs a long nose and short nose... the short nose is the one i want a guess cause its the only one with LSD.. but i will have to change to CVs... any write ups on the r200?? or i can just weld the shit out of the stock diff and wait till it blows..

No helmet means it runs 13.99 or slower. Or they sent him home after that pass. My guess is the car is lowered and has camber sitting on the trailer. Many cars have independant rear ends (corvette) and they dont look like that leaving.

As far as welding the spiders, It's not NHRA legal. I prefer the term "Lincoln locker". I cannot confim or deny it" presence on my 521.