need help with eletrical

kdatsun610p

so my idiot friend hooks up this alternator check machines to my 1974 datsun 610 that supposedly put a load on the wire or something and when he started putting the load on it the engine it started to die.. and now my car doesn't want to start all the time and some times while im driving my cars electrical system will completely shut of and kill the engine i cant find out whats wrong and rly need help does any one kno what i could do?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1. Welcome to Ratsun.

2. Ratsuners are picture whores. get on it.

3. sentence/paragraph structure and spelling are not required

but they make it alot easier to read a post. help us help you.

4. did I mention Ratsuners are picture whores?

5. start with the obvious, are there any burned wires, loose connecters, blown fuses ect.

so my idiot friend hooks up this alternator check machines to my 1974 datsun 610 that supposedly put a load on the wire or something and when he started putting the load on it the engine it started to die.. and now my car doesn't want to start all the time and some times while im driving my cars electrical system will completely shut of and kill the engine i cant find out whats wrong and rly need help does any one kno what i could do?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

The fact that it does start run most of the time would indicate that the problem isn't permanent damage but likely something like a bad connection. I would start by inspecting the fusible links located under/behind that black plastic cover beside the battery.

710IRaltswap006Large.jpg

The fusible links are the red wires down on the left side. Inspect them for burnt or melted insulation and unplug and plug back in several times to clean and make good contact. The other end should have a black wire going to the negative battery post so be sure it is secure/clean/tight.

710IRaltswap007Large.jpg

If you loosen the screws on the top of the gray metal panel you can tilt it forward to inspect the voltage regulator behind it. you are looking for burned wires which will pinpoint the problem. You dont have to remove it, but you can unplug it and plug back in to provide batter contact of the connector wires.

Last I would remove and replace the fuse box fuses located on the kick pad by the passenger's knee. Be sure the contact clips that hold the fuses are clean of any corrosion. Don't bother testing or inspecting a fuse as this is unreliable. They can look good but be bad internally, just replace them.