how to remove bolt on lower wishbone? (79 620)

kona480

Hi

I am wanting to do a disk brake conversion from a d21 nissan navara on my 620. I am replacing the entire assembly and just using the original 620 upper wishbone. The previous owner already installed one side but I am having some trouble removing the left side. The bolt that the torsion bar buts up against which holds the lower arm on doesn't move. As you can see in the pics I am trying a large puller but it just seems to be bending the arm and not moving the bolt. Does anyone have any advice? or atleast know how its supposed to come out incase i'm doing it wrong? By the way i'm in Australia if it makes any difference.

Any help would be appreciated

Shayne.

bolt2.jpgbolt1.jpg

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't need a puller, mine just tapped right out with an extension and a few light blows. There should be two bolts that hold the torsion bar bracket on the lower control arm (wishbone) and one larger nut on the forward side of the pivot rod/bolt that goes through the lower control arm bushing.

It seems like the inner metal sleeve and the bolt somehow corroded together. Or maybe the spindle and everything else is weighing it down on the bolt? I doubt this but might be possible. Try removing the lower ball joints to remove the spindle and then see if it will come off.

Another method is get yourself a Big @$$ hammer (hand held sledge hammer) and pound it with some muscle. I guarantee it will come out. Just gotta put some muscle on there.

Not yet. I'm going to cut away a section of the lower arm around the bolt so i can access it better and try to get a bit of pipe or a big socket to try and hammer the bush out. Hopefully if the pressure is applied directly to the bush and not the bolt inside the bush it will come out