620 funky brakes

metalmonkey47

Alright, this isn't critical per say, but it is something that's been bothering me.

TWO different things to discuss in this topic:

A: When I picked up my '76 620, I noticed the parking brake was a little soft. Obviously, the first thing I did was adjusted the parking brake cable. I tightened up the tension on it to where it would begin to engage as soon as you start to pull the handle.

Now the handles softened and I have about 3 inches of free play in the parking brake handle. The parking brake won't hold the truck on a small incline without me first pushing the pedal down hard with the parking brake set, and even at that sometimes it doesn't work.

What I've done so far to troubleshoot:

1. I've done a basic brake inspection. I was told the brakes were replaced recently before I got the truck. Since I know you guys are going to say "that doesn't mean anything," I went ahead and pulled the drums before making this thread, and can vouch for that. The shoes are new (looking) with 100% material. Hardware looks brand new on top of that. Also with that, the left rear wheel cylinder IS leaking a bit, and is on my to-do list.

2. I've re-adjusted the brakes on both sides, and were not off adjustment more then a notch.

3. I've adjusted the parking brake cable, but there literally isn't ANY more room for adjustment, so obviously something's not right.

B: When I step on the brakes after releasing the parking brake (I think this is just coincidental) there is a somewhat loud 'pop' from what sounds like the front right wheel. During the brake inspection noted above, I found the brakes @ that wheel were mis-adjusted and tightened up a few notches. I have more braking strength, however the noise did not go away. When I had the drums off, I saw nothing out of the ordinary on this wheel. All hardware/springs were in the right place and none looked fatigued. I also noticed after getting a 'pop' out of the brakes, I have less braking strength, although I know this is partially due to the rear cylinder listed above.

Edited by metalmonkey47
  • Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've had severe fluid loss from a soft 'pop' sound. It was a seal blowing out. Check your master levels just to be safe.

Wet linings won't hold very well either.

New shoes won't always work their best for a few hundred miles until they 'break in' to the drum. Speaking of drums were they turned?

I've had severe fluid loss from a soft 'pop' sound. It was a seal blowing out. Check your master levels just to be safe.

Wet linings won't hold very well either.

New shoes won't always work their best for a few hundred miles until they 'break in' to the drum. Speaking of drums were they turned?

The master for the front is topped off and hasn't budged since I picked up the truck. Rear brakes leak though. Quite substantially to be honest blink.gif

I've driven 893 miles since I bought the truck a month ago, so I'd assume they're well broken in laugh.gif

I don't know about the drums. I'd assume probably not, since thats a commonly overlooked part of a brake job. I measured them with a digital micrometer, and they measured within spec, but of course, that doesn't mean they aren't out of round.

I'm really kind of intrigued by the suggestion that they may be backwards huh.gif