U67 Head Rebuilt $350 EDIT

EDIT: Price Dropped to $350 Plus shipping. FIRM

Sell was pending, but buyer flaked out.

EDIT:TRADE PENDING (12/2/2011)

I picked up this head last year with the plan of putting it on my rebuilt L20. I changed directions (again) and got another head rebuilt without all the big valves or porting. So now I have this head taking up space and not being used! The head should be ready to go. The machinist re-assembled it for me so I could just slap it on the engine, adjust and fire it up. I am asking $400 plus shipping $350 plus shipping FIRM. I am in the Seattle area. Local pickup is good and sometimes I drive down to portland.

Here are the details from the original ad. I bought it on here: The only difference is that I requested a much mellower cam than the original design. See the cam card below.

EDIT: Also since it was brought to my attention there may be some confusion, the "BIG ASS CAM" is what was originally sold with the head. I opted for something mellow in comparison. So my head DOES NOT has the "BIG ASS CAM" listed in the original sale post. The cam you will get it is shown on the the cam card and discussed below.

What's below is the details from the original sale.

"I just ran acroos a U67 head that was left by a customer. It has been ported and polished by the customer. (IT ISNT THE GREATEST JOB BUT ATLEAST HE DIDNT SCREW IT UP BY FLATENING OUT THE RUNNER RADIUS') We installed new intake and exhaust seats, it has ALL new SI stainless valves, A fresh reground DP 282/292 camshaft (BIG ASS CAM) it comes with a reground set of rockers, NEW nissan comp valve springs, NEW valve retainers and keepers, NEW lash pads, NEW valve stem seals, All NEW bronze valve guides and a 3 angle valve grind, and it has been freshly surfaced.. $400 + shipping... "

"44mmInt35mm Ex"

"Virgin thickness is 4.260 This head is 4.248... All threads are good,we dont tap aluminum threads here. If there is an issue we insert them but thishead has no inserts."

Original oics from original post:

P1000407.jpg

P1000409.jpg

P1000406.jpg

Okay here are the current photos and new cam card:

IMG_2738.jpg

IMG_2740.jpg

IMG_2743.jpg

camcard.jpg

Please take this off my hands and put it to good use!

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Here are the details from the original ad. I bought it on here: The only difference is that I requested a much mellower cam than the original design. See the cam card below.

"44mmInt35mm Ex"

"Virgin thickness is 4.260 This head is 4.248... All threads are good,we dont tap aluminum threads here. If there is an issue we insert them but thishead has no inserts."

Only the intakes are oversize, the exhaust valves are stock. Also the stock uncut thickness of a U67 head is 4.248" not 4.26" so if it was milled is will be less. To bad the combustion chambers weren't cc'd but (with milling) will be no more than 45.3 and likely slightly less. If you have an exact head thickness it can be worked out.

1.728" intake ports are almost 1/4" wider than the SSS heads.

I am not sure what the deal with the head thickness is. The original poster put in 4.260. He is claiming 4.248. I did a couple of quick measurements with my calipers and could get no less than 4.252. Also there is a 0.007 stamped somewhere on the bottom, which I thought indicated the amount milled off.

Also I did do a quick cc of one of the chambers back when I first got it with a cheap kit. I think it was 1 or 2cc less than stock. Can't remember.

Here is an interesting thread regarding head thickness. It appears that the 4.248" number may be a minimum factory head thickness. Some guy on that thread said he had measured several at 4.265". So I am not really sure what number is truly original.

Also my machinist has handled TONS of these heads. I believe he used to help build L engines for his boss back in the day. I trust his numbers, but then again who knows. Maybe there was a wide variation. It would be interesting to collect more data.

http://www.improvedtouring.com/forums/archive/index.php?t-28453.htm

Edit: Found another thread that claims NISMO catalog states 108mm which 4.252":blink:

L20B is 248 duration intake and exhaust.

and 0.413" lift at the valves.

Intake opens 16 degrees BTDC closes at 52 degrees ABDC

Exhaust opens 54 degrees BBDC and closes at 14 degrees ATDC

Overlap is 30 degrees

All the above are absolute and do not reflect the valve lash which would lower these numbers.

I'll give you $300 shipped to 94550...

That's too low, especially considering how much shipping would cost.

.270 lobe lift x 1.5= .405 inch subtract valve lash

NOT IMPRESSIVE. might have the duration but stock lift if anything.This sounds typical of a Delta regrind Never heard of Redline besides the oils

“2/ Negative comments about the item or the price WILL NOT BE TOLERATED. These will be removed and the member warned once or temp banned, totally at the moderators discretion. No excuses, no exceptions.”

Also, as stated in my original description, I had the cam swapped out for something mellow. I know it is not wild, and I don’t care if you find it impressive.

• Like 5

yeah I know,I could get banned, But I just didnt want you to mislead the buying public on the BIGASS CAM. In case the new owner finds out he goes slower with this cam.

Head is fine.

Fair enough but I do not know how the following is misleading:

Okay here are the current photos and new cam card:

camcard.jpg

Hmm that's a pretty tasty deal...I got quoted a grand just to get my head machined....

I have only had one head gone through and it was far less, but I suppose it would depend on what your goals are. Speaking with pumpkin it sounds like you are trying to go really hot. All that work may get up to that price, not sure.

Either way, $400 for a completely rebuilt head is a smokin' deal, even if you decide to toss the cam. Maybe we can meet up or you can have Pumpkin take a look at it next time he is up here.

Fair enough but I do not know how the following is misleading:

camcard.jpg

It's not misleading and very up front, the problem is that it has basically the same specs as the L20B cam.

L20B is 248 duration intake and exhaust.

and 0.413" lift at the valves.

Intake opens 16 degrees BTDC closes at 52 degrees ABDC

Exhaust opens 54 degrees BBDC and closes at 14 degrees ATDC

Overlap is 30 degrees

All the above are absolute and do not reflect the valve lash which would lower these numbers.

The lobe lift of an L20B cam is 0.276" which is multiplied by 1.5 by the rocker arm to 0.414"at the valve

Many cam makers and re-grinders measure their cams differently. I see that the advertised duration is 282 and the overlap is 54 yet the drawing shows 236 and 16 because it is measured at 0.050" lift. ??? Very confusing to the buyer.

It's not misleading and very up front, the problem is that it has basically the same specs as the L20B cam.

The lobe lift of an L20B cam is 0.276" which is multiplied by 1.5 by the rocker arm to 0.414"at the valve

Many cam makers and re-grinders measure their cams differently. I see that the advertised duration is 282 and the overlap is 54 yet the drawing shows 236 and 16. ??? Very confusing to the buyer.

Mike, with all due respect, that is NOT the issue here. Before I get taken incorrectly, let me first state that I have a lot of respect for the knowledge that you and Hainz bring to the table.

My problem is that this fact, which you present perfectly well, could have been presented much differently by Hainz:

.270 lobe lift x 1.5= .405 inch subtract valve lash

NOT IMPRESSIVE. might have the duration but stock lift if anything.This sounds typical of a Delta regrind Never heard of Redline besides the oils

When I read Hainz's post I (and I am sure others) read it as an asshole comment. Hainz may or may not have meant this, but the connotation and emphasis of "NOT IMPRESSIVE" suggests something quite different than an objective viewpoint. For instance, if I was commenting on a picture of your Datsun would you rather me say that it is NOT IMPRESSIVE or state that its performance is not much greater than stock.

Admittedly I was already bent when the numbers on head thickness I was posting were being called wrong. I understand that 4.248" is a quoted number, but apparently its legitimacy is questionable. I measured 4.252" with a caliper, and my machinist who has handled many of these heads with precision equipment is quoting 4.260". I then found other claims of 4.248" being low. And then you say: "All the ones I've checked were 4.25" (well, within the error of my tape measure)". We are debating hundredths and thousands of an inch here!

I just want to sell my head with no bullshit. It is a good head. At no fault of the machinist, I requested a really mellow cam when I bought the head. The head was a smokin deal then, and it is a smokin deal now. The cam is nothing special and for all I care, someone can chuck it and replace it with a truly BIGASS CAM.

Popular wisdom has the head thickness as 4.248" and I have also measured them with a caliper and found mine the same. (I meant to put quotation marks around 'tape measure' to show I used something more exact) That said, if there are thicker ones it's news to me and duly noted for the future.

I don't have any comment on Hainz or his reply. I assume everyone knows his replies at times appear to be crusty/cantankerous/contentious/crotchety in nature. Say the word and I can edit it out, I have no problem applying our rules.

As to the advertised cam specs I bet if the stock L20B cam were measured by them all the numbers I quoted would drop dramatically.

Popular wisdom has the head thickness as 4.248" and I have also measured them with a caliper and found mine the same. (I meant to put quotation marks around 'tape measure' to show I used something more exact) That said, if there are thicker ones it's news to me and duly noted for the future.

I don't have any comment on Hainz or his reply. I assume everyone knows his replies at times appear to be crusty/cantankerous/contentious/crotchety in nature. Say the word and I can edit it out, I have no problem applying our rules.

As to the advertised cam specs I bet if the stock L20B cam were measured by them all the numbers I quoted would drop dramatically.

With all due respect to Hainz, I know exactly how his replies can come off. IMO, it doesn't really justify anything. And deleting his post won't really change anything.

To be honest I am pretty much over pressing the issue. This horse is dead.smile.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.