Will a 76 620 l20b bolt up to an auto 71 510

Draynor

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes it will bolt up, but not to the 510's 5 bolt flex plate. If you can find an L20B 6 bolt 3N71B automatic flex plate it might work. '71 was the year that the 510 switched to the 3N71B automatic. I would say that if it's got a 3N71B in it it will work. If the 510 has an earlier Borg Warner auto there may be too many differences.

Yes it will bolt up, but not to the 510's 5 bolt flex plate. If you can find an L20B 6 bolt 3N71B automatic flex plate it might work. '71 was the year that the 510 switched to the 3N71B automatic. I would say that if it's got a 3N71B in it it will work. If the 510 has an earlier Borg Warner auto there may be too many differences.

Will I also need a 6 bolt flex plate for a L16 or L18 swap?

Will I also need a 6 bolt flex plate for a L16 or L18 swap?

L16s and L18s have a five bolt flexplate, so no you will not need it if you plan for either the L16 or L18.

Don't forget that the L20B is a taller motor than the L16 or L18, so there could be a hood clearance problem as well.

L16s and L18s have a five bolt flexplate, so no you will not need it if you plan for either the L16 or L18.

Don't forget that the L20B is a taller motor than the L16 or L18, so there could be a hood clearance problem as well.

I was looking into any of the L series engines for my 71 510 automatic 4 door, it came with no engine, Im trying to figure out what im looking at thanks for the help guys. Yeah i know about the clearance issues with the l20b

'71 was the year that the 510 switched to the 3N71B automatic. I would say that if it's got a 3N71B in it it will work. If the 510 has an earlier Borg Warner auto there may be too many differences.

Don't forget... there may be issues with compatibility if you use a 3N71B flex plate on an earlier Borg Warner automatic. You need to identify the transmission you have.

Does it have this on the back?

B-Wfullautomatic.jpg

Does it have a floor shift?

Don't forget... there may be issues with compatibility if you use a 3N71B flex plate on an earlier Borg Warner automatic. You need to identify the transmission you have.

Does it have this on the back?

B-Wfullautomatic.jpg

Does it have a floor shift?

It is a column shift, and it does not have that badge.