L20B Parts wanted

I need the Thermostat housing (the lower portion) for the L20b. I need the thermo switch (does not have to be good just not leak) the nipple for the return and the hole for the temp sensor. I also need the alternator mount for the L20b.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest kamakazi620

I need the Thermostat housing (the lower portion) for the L20b. I need the thermo switch (does not have to be good just not leak) the nipple for the return and the hole for the temp sensor. I also need the alternator mount for the L20b.

Junkyard or Ebay YO!!

I still have all three of these. None are from L20b but one may be the style you need.

Differences: one has no crossover port, one has 1/8" NPT crossover port, one has 1/4"

NPT crossover port. All are cleaned up with gasket surfaces lapped, good holes and

threads, no cracks. Any of these = $27 shipped.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/50853885@N06/5248166195/in/set-72157624202328584

http://www.flickr.com/photos/50853885@N06/5248166193/in/set-72157624202328584

I can't seem to find thermos switches - have some, but gotta look for them.

I still have all three of these. None are from L20b but one may be the style you need.

Differences: one has no crossover port, one has 1/8" NPT crossover port, one has 1/4"

NPT crossover port. All are cleaned up with gasket surfaces lapped, good holes and

threads, no cracks. Any of these = $27 shipped.

http://www.flickr.co...157624202328584

http://www.flickr.co...157624202328584

I can't seem to find thermos switches - have some, but gotta look for them.

I don't really need the thermo switches, but for some reason the L16 housing I have currently does not work. The L20b's were slightly different.

I don't really need the thermo switches, but for some reason the L16 housing I have currently does not work. The L20b's were slightly different.

What's wrong with your current housing?

As you can see from mine, the NPT thread size for the crossover nipple can be 1/4" or 1/8" or

there can be no crossover fitting at all ('69 L16, I think). Replacement brass NPT nipples can

be had for the correct hose diameter regardless of which NPT thread. I also have a few of the

original brazed steel ones in various size combos and will be happy to measure to try to match

what you've got.

The temp sender threadings appear to be the same on all. One of mine may be from a '74 L20b

or a '73 L18, not sure.

I can measure hole center and flange dimensions if that would be helpful. I'm not familiar with

specific differences between L20b and L16/L18 and definitely want to know if anyone can edify

me on this. Got digital calipers.

Gasket surface leaks can be caused by warpage or corrosion. This is easy to fix by lapping flat on

80 - 100 grit sandpaper on plate glass (or any reliably flat table surface).

These housings can be cracked. I've seen them cracked through the temp sender boss and in the

long mounting holes where rust caused a bolt to break and get stuck.

Oh sh**t...sorry 420, it looks like I sold that one.

Oh darn, are the other 2 the same length ? What is the measurement. Thanks

bump-titty bump. :blush:

What's wrong with your current housing?

As you can see from mine, the NPT thread size for the crossover nipple can be 1/4" or 1/8" or

there can be no crossover fitting at all ('69 L16, I think). Replacement brass NPT nipples can

be had for the correct hose diameter regardless of which NPT thread. I also have a few of the

original brazed steel ones in various size combos and will be happy to measure to try to match

what you've got.

The temp sender threadings appear to be the same on all. One of mine may be from a '74 L20b

or a '73 L18, not sure.

I can measure hole center and flange dimensions if that would be helpful. I'm not familiar with

specific differences between L20b and L16/L18 and definitely want to know if anyone can edify

me on this. Got digital calipers.

Gasket surface leaks can be caused by warpage or corrosion. This is easy to fix by lapping flat on

80 - 100 grit sandpaper on plate glass (or any reliably flat table surface).

These housings can be cracked. I've seen them cracked through the temp sender boss and in the

long mounting holes where rust caused a bolt to break and get stuck.

The L20b has a relief nipple above the temp sensor to keep water flowing. The issue I'm having is that the dash gauge and an aftermarket electric gauge both show the engine running hot, however once you remove the radiator and hit it with an IR thermometer it is running at 180*. Best guess is because the l20b needs that crossover to be there.Looks like someone already has what Ineed though. Thanks again. Anyone have that other part I need :)

• 1 year later...

This Thread ( year old ) answers my posted and unaswered question in my thread. I can see the ports and the probability of fitting a temp sensor ( mechanical gauge ).

Which wa ythe thermostat opens if anyone knows? I do not remember. Planing on using a mechanical sensor on one of the 2 frontal additional ports ( now plugged in in my L20B ) . The lower side port is for the stock temp sensor which I will keep as additional and complementary temp monitoring device.

Do not want the sensor ( SunPro ) to interfere with the thermostat operation.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.