heater core replacement help

I need to replace the core. I also don't know how the hell I'm going to accomplish this. Definitely working on a budget and can't afford to have it done professionally, but I also can't afford to be driving with ice on the windshield this winter. Anyone done this? Know of a good how-to website with pictures, or could you explain it a bit? I'm generally fairly good on the engine side of the firewall, but never dug into heating/cooling/electrical and I'm kind of afraid. Last thing I want is to screw this car up. It's a 1979 210 wagon.

Thank you.

• Like 1
  • Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

They are fairly simple to remove. The whole assembly comes out in no time. The real question is as listed above, is it leaking? There is a valve on the pass side that opens and shuts the water flow to the core(for summer) and the hoses connecting it, the core and thru the firewall to the engine. They are often the culprit and can be easily rebuilt, there is even a thread about it on here somewhere...

• Like 1

They are fairly simple to remove. The whole assembly comes out in no time. The real question is as listed above, is it leaking? There is a valve on the pass side that opens and shuts the water flow to the core(for summer) and the hoses connecting it, the core and thru the firewall to the engine. They are often the culprit and can be easily rebuilt, there is even a thread about it on here somewhere...

mine was stuck open and somebody tried to force it and bent all the coat hanger-like things all up and i guess they gave up and put a water valve under the hood instead.

Both clogged AND leaking slightly. It used to work, now it just blows cold steamy air. Having a hell of a time seeing through my windshield. Anyone find any links to a "how to"? Did a search but I couldn't find it.

Pumpkin, are you saying the whole heater box should come out and then be disassembled? I assumed it would be taken apart in place. If it's designed to be removed as a unit I imagine it would be a lot easier.

Thanks for the replies so far.

• Like 1

Remove old bad valve in home depot parkinglot, enter the store, build valve, buy parts and install!

eabb835f.jpg

Great Thread!

most valve rebuild threads are for 510s but if it is heater core you need to remove it to change it .. dont be scared just take your time and use NEW hoses to re-assemble

http://community.rat...ter-valve-leak/

http://www.510coop.com/heater/

Pumpkin, are you saying the whole heater box should come out and then be disassembled? I assumed it would be taken apart in place. If it's designed to be removed as a unit I imagine it would be a lot easier.

Thanks for the replies so far.

I find it easier to removew the hole assembly for core replacement. They are small and put in the right way, to make for easy removal!

I have heard of guys replacing the whole assembly with one out of another datsun cause they are all simmilar in size and setup!

Hope this helps!

• Like 1

Still haven't managed to get this replaced. Lots of things on the table. Thinking about selling the Datsun anyway. :( things kinda went south as far as my employment goes and I'm needing some money elsewhere.

Anyone know what a 79 wagon should fetch in fair condition? Runs great now, drives good. Body isn't perfect but it's okay-ish. Just some minor damage to the front fenders and the paint sucks. I hate to sell it but it's kinda the only thing I have that I don't really need to keep and my wife can't drive it cause it's a stick and I have a jeep that's an auto so she needs that to get to work and such. Blah. I love this stupid little car.

• Like 1