wtb ka 5speed trans

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Supposedly its the ole on the left. Im just going by some 240 forums. It " whites" in neutral with the clutch pedal out.

I assumed it was the throwout bearing, but in addition to that, it whines really loud in all gears except 4th. Imput shaft bearing? Pilot bushing?

Supposedly its the ole on the left. Im just going by some 240 forums. It " whites" in neutral with the clutch pedal out.

I assumed it was the throwout bearing, but in addition to that, it whines really loud in all gears except 4th. Imput shaft bearing? Pilot bushing?

Forth gear is straight through and there is little to no side loading on any of the bearings, while all other gears transmit power through the counter shaft. The countershaft drive bearing is the bottom one in the picture. It's usually the bad one in a 'B' tranny. The 'C' tranny was improved to prevent this.

I guess you're driving it and want to get another and swap in? If not driving it, it's got to be removed anyway, so pull it and remove the front case and inspect them both. They are relatively easy to get at.

Mike, is there any good write-ups on changing those out? I've got a couple KA trans that are getting a little noisy. (they still shift killer, so no issues with syncros, and not real noisy on acceleration, just a little noisy down shifting and idling)

x2. im not much of a trans guy, but wouldnt mind tackling it if i had a good guide and possibly part #'s???

The very front two you need a gear puller... bottom easy, the top you need a l o n g puller to draw it off the end of the clutch spline on the input shaft.

The very back two look like front two for difficulty.

The two inside the adapter plate require some dismantling and removal of the main and counter shafts to get at..

The "pocket bearing" referred to here is a set of free needle rollers (usually- sometimes a needle bearing assembly) nestled into the back of the input shaft's counterbore (pocket)~ the mainshaft's nose rides in these needle bearings whose job it is to hold both shafts on a common axis. A bad pocket bearing allows the mainshaft to flex off-axis, resulting in loss of parallelism between the main and countershaft~from which comes the noise. While it is possible the countershaft bearing(s) failed, the more likely suspect is the pocket bearing. While the countershaft is bathed in lube, the pocket bearing is VERY sesnitive to oil level, being buried under the 3/4 synchro. Some trannies (larger ones) have a pressed on hardened race on the mainshaft's nose~ while most others get a hardening treatment. If allowed to run too long this hardfacing will go away, resulting in exponentially excellerated wear. The fix is either a new mainshaft and/or input, or the nose can be turned down and a hardened race pressed on~ if there's enough material to support it. When caught early it is a relatively easy fix....

Peace~

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.