Tranny question

Jester

Picked up a free Z22 the other day, now a guy at work gave me a L series 5 speed truck tranny FOR FREE!!!

It has spent some time outside. Apperantly, long enough to rust the sift mechanism on the tail. How the heck do I get this apart to free it up?

I,m at work and don't have my manuals.

Thanks guys.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe the reason it was left outdoors for so long is that it's jammed in gear.....

WD-40 the shit out of the shifter area and pull hard on it. It's just a shaft going in and out and turning slightly. If it doesn't move it's likely fubar.

If you remove all switches, speedo pinion and stuff on the driver's side you can slide the tailshaft off. Now you can undo the cotter nut (see below) that holds the little selector arm on the striker rod and the shifter portion can be driven out the back. There is a small plug, like a frost plug, that pops out and will have to be put back in with sealer. I suspect it's not the shifter but something deeper inside the tranny so check there first.

5speedfor710goon006Large-1.jpg

Got it to move now. Sprayed the shit out of it with PB Blaster and let it sit for a few hours. Couple wacks with a dead blow and it now shifts great. I think I may just pull it apart and see how things look on the inside. That and I want to take the shifter apart and clean it up.

Mike do you have any pictures of what to look for as far as common wear stuff on the insides of these trannys?

Mostly the bearings.

The first two bearings are on the front of the mainshaft and pressed onto the front of the countershaft. Both are supported by the front case and are accessed by removing the cover plate inside the bellhousing.

FS5W71Bteardown007Large.jpg

Front case off. (looking up from below front) Mainshaft input bearing and below it the countershaft drive bearing. Must spin smoothly by hand, no roughness, the outer race must not be loose with side to side play.

FS5W71CMainandcountershaftfrontbear.jpg

Can't look like this where the bearing cage has failed:

FS5W71Bteardown004Large.jpg

This is the steel adapter plate that holds all the gears and shift rods and can be seen when the front case and rear tailstock are removed. There are bearings in it that support the mainshaft and a countershaft. This is a failed mainshaft bearing as seen by looking down from the tailstock and slightly from the right. That's the reverse and 5th shift fork with reverse and 5th gear below it in the picture.

71BadBearingWithBallsFallingOut.jpg

This is the counter shaft bearing as seen looking at it from the front with the transmission laying on it's driver's side.

Sealick003.jpg

You can't really do much but visually inspect for damage. The mainshaft and the countershaft must not wiggle around and be loose in the adapter plate. They should turn smoothly in either direction.

The last two bearings are on the mainshaft behind the speedo worm gear and on the countershaft to the rear of the adapter plate. Both bearings are supported in the tailstock

84720002.jpg

The rear mainshaft bearing far right. To find the rear counter bearing look along the mainshaft to the left to the first gear and down. There is a bearing against this gear just to the right of it.

Max5spd002.jpg

Bearing should be free to turn smoothly without roughness and yet not loose and wobbly.