Trilogy - 1st 1200, 2nd 510 SSS, now 240Z

datsunbat

Hi friends!

Yesterday I’ve completed my Datsun collection…for now!

My trilogy…the 1200, SSS and now the 240Z!

I bought a 240Z…eheheh!

It’s a 1971 car, and it has 96.000 km’s, and it has a curious story.

The car was bought in 1971 by a soccer player, Fernando Gomes from FC Porto, a 1st league player. He is much known, he had won 2 times the golden boot here in Portugal!

He bought the car and then after a superficial crash near the stadium on the middle 80’s the car went into a repair on a Nissan dealer. After a year the car was trade for another Nissan. The principal mechanic bought the car and made a mechanic repair, only the usual components.

His son was 16 by the time and offered it.

In his garage, together they dismantle the car and a restoration was made! The car was all restored with the exception on the interiors that were amazing in that time!

When he made 18, takes the license and after a few months the car was ready to go back the road again!

He kept it in garage for over 15 years, and every week the car was putting to work.

He made almost 30.000 km’s with the car, and the sell happened because he didn’t use it!

Then I talked to a friend, because I already know that a 240z was for selling, he entered in contact with the seller. On the 1st October I went to see the car and got astonished. On the 3rd October I close the deal and yesterday I got him in my garage!

One curious fact, the car was grey, and when Fernando Gomes bought the car he changed the cars colors to blue, because the FC Porto colors were blue and white…eheheh!

About the journey, magnificent, I made 350 km’s with average speed of 110 km’s/H. Consume rounded 10 l/100, I think the normal.

Now I will make him a big cleaning, and proceed to the reparation of some parts, such as clutch, all oils and several water tubes.

Hope you like the story and like the car…I will only change the back of the car painted in black and the wheel to the dark grey.

Then road again…

Here are the photos…

Me trying the car on the 1st October, before the buy…

1deoutubro201132.jpg

1deoutubro201120.jpg

The interior…

1deoutubro20113.jpg

1st stop way home.

1paragem.jpg

2nd stop…

2paragem2.jpg

Home…

quandocheguei2.jpg

quandocheguei.jpg

Me and My father…he drove it, and take a ride with my mum…I loved the sensation! It was funny and even sensational to me.

voltinha.jpg

1006260.jpg

After the tryp…resting…

nagaragem.jpg

depoisdaviagemodescanso.jpg

I hope you liked it!

Regards

Mário

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi friends!

Thanks a lot!

I think it was a nice buy...the car is rust free, and need some little details, lile the alloys, the rear and a mechanical revision!

Nothing to worry about!

Next summer the 510 will be restored, and I think this one too...it just need a new paint job...maybe 2 monts of work...next saturday I will paint the rear back!

nine2five5ten: Thanks! It's a ice story, and it was a great surprise to me! Because Fernando Gomes is a VIP in professional footbal! I'll try to contact him and take a picture with the Z.

exit64: Thanks. I think this one will be as good as the 1200 by the final! Mr.Vitorino is waiting for it...eheheh

datrod: Thanks. I'll try to do an equl job on this one! But parts from europe are very rare...I'll have to order most from USA and Japan.Let's see what happens!

One curious fact, the car entered in Portugal on January 1st 1971 and it was sold the same year in August.

Perhaps they changed here some parts in Portugal, like the gearbox or something!Mine has 5 speeds.

Here in Portugal, between 1970 and 1973, only 191 240z were sold, and the same year as mine, 1971 only 21. Mine is one of the firsts to be sold that year!

Before mine were only 4...

Kind regards

Mário

There a few things on your car that are different than US cars. The front turn signals are something I have never seen on a Z.

And your car has metal where the US car would have the turn signals.

As far as a 5 speed I don't know if they even had a 5 speed back then. It might have been installed by someone at a later date.

Hi!

Thanks for the commments...

Beginnig the story, The 240z was released in different markets, such as Japanese, American, europe and so on, and in these continents the care where not equeal, not the exact details were share.

the American has big differences to mine, little you told, and very well, the turning lights, we didn't have it above the bumpers, it was like mine, that's why you found metal in the place where they shuppose to be.

Only the 70,72 and 73 had it, because mine is from the sencond serie, where Datsun changed a few things.

My lateral turning lights are exactly the same as the US, in mine car they are bad placed, and the American ones had turning lights on the lateral back, european hadn't!

There are some differences even in the interior, such as the ashtray, the coin holder, and the centre console.

On the shifts, you're right, the 5 gear was available in Portugal, not in every markets even in europe, the reason is that here in Portugal, the owners of Datsun/Nissan Dealer wanted it, there were some problems with some owners that had the 1200 and 510 with only the 4th gear, they claimed to be a short gearbox, and the first response to that was the fifth gear on the 240z.

Even the alloys, they were just intended for the Japanese market, and the same story, the Dealer wanted it in Portuguese cars, and even most because they were from magnesium and it was an extra that all Portuguese car had!

They were never sold with other alloys.

As far as you can see, they depend on the country where they were sold.

I can give you more examples, and even from mine, that is a 2nd serie...

If you want, I can give you a more detailed information, send me an e-mail and I'll answer it...OK!

It's for not boring most people! OK!

Kind Regards

Mário

Hi friends!

Thank you all for the comments!

SuperX: You're right...the same 3 model...and names...the Z is a masterpiece, I love to drive it!

Last weekend I drove him and it rocks...fantastic. I love the gerabox and steering.

About the next Datsun, what will you buy? I'm searching for a 2000 roadster...but unfortunately, in Portugal I just know 3 of them, and just one 2000.

I'll have to buy in another country...

gokiburix:You're right, because the car on the middle eighties had a crash, and that time the metal parts available were only for the 3rd serie, even the center console is from that serie...Now I'm searching for the 71's parts and complete the car before it went into resto...but just next year, now I want to enjoy the car as much as possible...

Kind Regards

Mário