need help lowering my 610 4dr

james610

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

'79- 280zx struts are 1 1/2" shorter than the 710 struts and they are likely the same as the 610. This is what I used.

How many coils did you cut off? I cut one coil, and used zx struts and it works fine. Right now the top of the tire is just level with the top of the fender lip. Any more and the tire rubs on turns.

Any lower and you should cut your strut and remove a few inches and weld them back up. Now you can use a much shorter shock insert.

'79- 280zx struts are 1 1/2" shorter than the 710 struts and they are likely the same as the 610. This is what I used.

How many coils did you cut off? I cut one coil, and used zx struts and it works fine. Right now the top of the tire is just level with the top of the fender lip. Any more and the tire rubs on turns.

Any lower and you should cut your strut and remove a few inches and weld them back up. Now you can use a much shorter shock insert.

i cut 3 coils, i had some springs laying around i think they were off a acura tsk. they r a stiffer spring...

240z struts dont wrk?

Nothing 'works' but you can make them work. The biggest advantage with a strut swap is the larger calipers and vented rotors. The ZX strut is shorter by a little over an inch to begin with. I don't know what the 240sx ones are like for length.

I think this is a 300zx on the left and a 280zx on the right. So the 300zx is even shorter and less likely to bottom out.

280zxand300zxstrutlength.jpg

I have the 280ZX struts in my 610 as well, however...

The upper strut mount rubs the inside of the "strut tunnel" at the top because the 280ZX spring is a larger diameter. There are two options for fixing this:

1) Remove the 280ZX lower spring perch and use the 610 spring perch, only welded lower. Then use the upper 610 spring perch and you are good to go.

2) Remove the 280ZX lower spring perch and use coilovers. The coilovers can be any style as long as they are for 2 inch ID struts.

Just cutting springs and using the stock 610 struts gives a hellishly harsh ride. I love the coilovers on the 280ZX struts and the added bonus of raising it or lowering it until I am satisfied with the ride height.

I cut the lower spring perch off the zx struts and used a 710 coil with one coil removed and the 710 lower spring perch to hold it. Instead of welding it on (non adjustable) I used a split clamp below it. Adjustable like a coil over just not as easy. But what good are coil overs anyway? unless you change your ride height once or twice a week. Why spend so much to set your height and then never touch it again? Split collars (these are 2" for Nissan strut size) will support 6,600 pounds each. That's three 710s per side. $10 a side.

strutmods010Large.jpg

• Like 1

I cut the lower spring perch off the zx struts and used a 710 coil with one coil removed and the 710 lower spring perch to hold it. Instead of welding it on (non adjustable) I used a split clamp below it. Adjustable like a coil over just not as easy. But what good are coil overs anyway? unless you change your ride height once or twice a week. Why spend so much to set your height and then never touch it again? Split collars (these are 2" for Nissan strut size) will support 6,600 pounds each. That's three 710s per side. $10 a side.

strutmods010Large.jpg

you can get them at an ace hardware too just fyi ;)

strutmods010Large.jpg

These clamps rock! I have a set on the 610, just be careful. Mine rubbed the wheels, so I had to get creative with the mounting!