78 200sx with l20b

i have a 78 200sx with the l20b motor in it im trying to get a little more power without overdoing it.

i basically just want to do header back full exhaust, dual carbs maybe side draft, and a limited slip rear end.

do you know where to find these parts ?

or any suggestions on what i should do

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The intake is fine on the '78, just get a good 32/36 Weber carb for a nice performance increase. Brand new Redline replacement kit including gaskets and adapters, bolts and fittings are about $300 and fit and work. You could pay that just for a side draft manifold.

The exhaust is best served by getting an earlier L16/18 manifold. It's as close to a cast iron header as you can get.

motorL16exhaustmanifold.jpg

hearervsstockL16-18.jpg

All the advantages non of the disadvantages of a header. The stock manifold doesn't leak because it fits the first time and stays that way. It's quiet. NEVER wears out. Produces less under hood temperatures. Did I mention that it fits? Headers are over rated and only worth the bother and expen$e if you have a cam and head work used with it. The L16/18 is a square port design but will work on your W58 round port head just fine... use the L16 gasket. I got mine for $10 and free isn't unheard of. Sure beats $180+ for a new one and another $100 to have it ceramic coated doesn't it? Limit the exhaust pipe size to about 2" or you will lower the exhaust speed too much and cut bottom end torque and loose some power.

Only place to find an LSD for the H-165-B rear end is after market or maybe Nismo, the performance division of Nissan? Your 200sx L20B with intake and exhaust mods isn't going to need an LSD anyway on the street.

mike i have to disagree with you about the header i have the exact header pictured above (the tube one)when i was running it open exhaust it was quiter then the stock manifold was and as for fitment it fit just fin and hasent leaked at all its a good header and for the price i would rather pay the 150 rather then searching for months possibly years for an early mani

mike i have to disagree with you about the header i have the exact header pictured above (the tube one)when i was running it open exhaust it was quiter then the stock manifold was and as for fitment it fit just fin and hasent leaked at all its a good header and for the price i would rather pay the 150 rather then searching for months possibly years for an early mani

i've seen that same header online on ebay so with yours how much better do you think your car sounds/performs

i never had the car dynoed so i cant say now much power i gained but going from the stock hitachi and stock exhaust to the weber with a header and 2.25 inch exhaust really woke it up it makes a big difference

and if your going to go with a stock exhaust manifold you want the early one because it doesnt have all the smog ports and its a 4 into 2 design rather then a 4 into 1

i never had the car dynoed so i cant say now much power i gained but going from the stock hitachi and stock exhaust to the weber with a header and 2.25 inch exhaust really woke it up it makes a big difference

and if your going to go with a stock exhaust manifold you want the early one because it doesnt have all the smog ports and its a 4 into 2 design rather then a 4 into 1

ok well i found the same header as yours online coated already for 199 plus shipping so i think ill go with that for my exhaust and make it about 2 1/4 as well what do you have for your exhaust going out after the header its not straight pipe is it?

and when it come to carbs do you think i should just go with the weber single or go for dual side drafts?

Open exhaust? I'm talking a closed system you drive around in. Now I may just be getting old, but loud exhaust gets pretty annoying after a while. It wears thin fast.

why use a l16 or l18 manifold unstead of my stock l20?

and with the 32/36 weber how much power do you think i'd gain?

The stock L20 exhaust is a 4 into one design with no thought to smooth, long individual runners. It works fine but if you are thinking of a header then an earlier manifold is at least as good. Well unless you have heavily modified your motor with higher compression, big cam, over size valves, port and polish, multi carbs etc. At highway speeds the exhaust manifold is no better or worse than a header. A header excels at very high RPMs and can extract power, but worth it more on a modified motor than a stock one. For say $200 you can make an extra 5 hp between 5,500 and maybe 6,000. That's $40 a hp at an RPM you never drive and won't feel. I'd save the money and spend it on a new 32/36 which gives better and more noticeable mid speed push you can feel.

The stock Hitachi is very good at what it does but it's a complex compromise between power/ economy/drive ability/pollution control. The Weber cuts through that and offers just fuel and air in larger quantities.

yeah loud exhaust does wear on you mike i was just comparing between the stock mani vs header when both are run open the header was quiter

for my exhaust i have 2.25 from the header back threw a magnaflow muffler

• 1 month later...

I don't have a muffler on my truck and it got WAY quieter after switching to a weber in general. And I got the 38/38. I thought it was going to but super loud but she purrs like a kitten.

I did follow Datzenmikes advice and picked up a L16 manifold instead of ordering a header.